Sunday, May 7, 2017

May 7 - Mormon Trail -- East Canyon Trail

It's a sunny morning and the temps today only near 80 degrees (a bit cooler than the 85 degrees of the last couple of day). But it's still 10 degrees warmer than normal and from what I've heard on the news, the run-off is in full flow now and towns are prepping for flooding. (Need some more "normal" temps to slow things down.)

I debated about heading into the mountains -- Cardiff Fork (Mill D South) --- or the Mormon Trail. The Mormon Trail wins -- I want to see butterflies! I was at the Mormon Trail 3 weeks ago and didn't get very far as the first stream crossing was very flooded. I'm hoping that has receded just a bit to expose some rocks and logs so crossing is possible.

But as I drive along the dirt road to the trail head, I notice the creeks are very high - much higher than 3 weeks ago. I have a funny feeling, I'm not going to be hiking very far today.

I park and head off on a very muddy trail and a very high stream. I just cross the bridge when I meet 4 hunters on their way out (turkey hunters -- they saw no turkeys) who warn me of the impending flooding. Say they've never seen it so high. I continue on and meet a pack of muddy/wet dogs and their walker. She too warns me of river head. Still I continue on thru the woods -- I haven't yet reach the actual trail yet but I can hear the rushing waters.

I reach the trail -- still no flowers in bloom other than the dandelions and these - Groundsel (I think).

I start up the trail and soon run into a small stream on the trail; that's easy to get around but not too much further ahead, the trail "stream" is bigger and flowing. It's still passable if I want to get wet because there is dry trail ahead (I can see it). But I know I'll only get stopped where I was 3 weeks ago but this time it'll be deeper. And there'll be more flooding even further down the trail. Time to turn back.  Maybe in a couple weeks....

So what to do next, Lamb's Canyon is still closed. I've never seen it closed before; people snowshoe it in the winter. Perhaps it's closed due to damage from an avalanche this winter. Don't know.

That leaves East Canyon again. I walked it 2-3 weeks ago but I'm doing it again. There were some bflys that time; hopefully more now.

I get to East Canyon (Little Dell Reservoir) and it's under a big black cloud. So much for bflies but it will be a nice walk.

There are more Balsamroot (Largeleaf) in bloom

and more Groundsel.

I head down to the far north end of the Reservoir. I see a Painted Lady but it flies off.

I also hear Kildeer. It takes me a while but I track down one of them.

Continuing on, I see a new bloomer -- Puccoon!

And a couple of BlueBells.

I'm hearing lots of birds but they're really hard to find.

The trail is finally close enough to the creek to take good luck at the rushing water.

On my way, I see a Hummingbird Moth and a White butterfly. Too quick for photos though.

I finally reach the road and this is my turn around for today. Of course, the sun is out now but I want to take the road back.

I do see 2 Painted Ladies and a Sulpher on the way to my car.

I can also still hear the birds calling as I head down the road. At one point, there are dueling calls. I finally track down the first bird between the branches -- a Yellow Warbler!

Across the street, I find a Spotted Towhee!

I see another Yellow Warbler along the way and in the open. But he flies!

Good day!