Sunday, April 30, 2017

April 30 - Little Cottonwood Trail (Little Cottonwood Canyon)

Well after a week of cold and rain (and PLENTY of snow in the mountains -- on April 9, Snowbird was reporting a total of 511 inches; after this week, 586 inches!!), it's time to get out and enjoy some sun and some warmer (but still below average) temperatures. Heading to hike the Little Cottonwood Creek trail this morning.

The trail starts at the mouth of the canyon but the main parking won't open until around Memorial Day so I drive a few miles up the snow-less canyon to a secondary parking area. Quite a few people already parked and on the trail.

As I head down the hill from the parking area to the main trail, I'm surprised to see how much snow still remains around the trail. The mountains, obviously not surprised by the snow.

I turn left and head up towards the end on the old brick building. Still a lot of snow around (and some snow sections of the trail) but I do find a few blooming Oregon-Grape and Waterleaf.

Soon I reach the trail's end.

The water is flowing pretty good but this is only the start of what will be a BIG run-off when the temperatures finally reach normal again.

I turn around and head back down the trail stopping at not one but two turn-offs to check out the creek.

I'm back at the trail head and now starting downhill. One bright blooming flower that survived the snow/cold. (Actually it's survived a lot as I've seen it for my 5th year now.)

A bit farther down, I spot at the "log jam" section, just want to compare what it looks like now and a few weeks from now.

Soon I reach the water wheel which has a nice squeak to it this morning.

The trail is now much clearer as I reach the bridge.

Quite a few bikers out today (just a couple of hikers though). I'm hearing squirrels now.

Continuing down....

I soon cross over the foot bridge.

It's at this point in the trail that I start seeing the Solomon's Seal poking through the ground.

Further down, I find some almost ready to bloom.

I'm hoping to see some bflies today and I finally see a shadow of one flying on the ground. I scan and see an Anise Swallowtail overhead!!

Soon I finally reach the big bridge; my final destination for today.

Water's flowing at a good clip.

Time to start back up hill. On the way back, I add to my bfly sightings with one Mourning Cloak.

Lovely day!