Sunday, May 28, 2017

May 28 - Mormon Pioneer Trail

Last couple of times of been have to the Mormon Pioneer Trail snow melt flooded has kept  me from getting very far (not even a 1/2 mile).  It's 3 weeks to the day since I last tried. I'm positive the water levels will be down but I do anticipate a bit of gymnastics to get across the still many water obstacles.

This is also the time of year (late May/early June) when the Relict Frits start flying. I'll be looking for them today.

Bright sunny day and around 60 degrees when I start. The creek thru the woods is still very high but not flowing as fast. Once exiting the woods into the sagebrush flats, I can hear the creek but it's not roaring that it did previously. Good.

Still not too much blooming, dandelions and ragwort but I see a few blues -- Boisduvals' Blue.


And the bouncing tan for the Common Ringlet.

A little further a long (still in the sagebrush area), I see a White flying. He lands and I carefully but quickly head uphill hoping for a look. It's a Large Marble!! (A very beaten up one.)

When I enter the aspen forest, I start seeing both Western and 2 tailed Swallowtails. And they are even cooperating today (more interested in nectar than flying).

But it's definitely a day for the Blues -- Boisduvals, Western Tailed Blues and Silvery Blues.

I broke up many a Blue party today on the trail. Looked so pretty when they all flew at once.


The Rocky Mountains Duskywings were also plentiful. I was looking for the other Duskywings that fly here (Sleepy and Dreamy) but did not find any as of yet.

The trail is actually in pretty good shape. There are spots that are still a little stream or a little muddy and there are spots that are still flooded. But low enough to cross on rocks or logs -- or if you don't mind wet shoes, just plow across.

I'm not too far down the trail when I actually the orange of the butterfly I'm specifically looking for - the Relict Frit.

On time for the 5th Spring!!

Other sightings on the way to the meadow include Milbert's Tortoiseshell

Sara Orangetips (still only males)

Two-tailed Swallowtails

and a few Painted Ladies and Juba Skippers.

I arrive at the meadow and instantly find Spring Beautys.

Then I arrive at the pond.

A bit surprised that I don't find much flying around the pond or mud puddling. Maybe when I come back thru.

I continue on past the beaver dam.

I stop to check the mud behind the dam and find lots of Blues and Duskywing and one Northern Crescent.

Moving on I see a Hoary Comma

and Mourning Cloak.

After the dam, the trail now gets a bit wetter and more parts of the trail are streams but still passable.

But there still are lots of dry areas and in one of those areas I catch up with another Large Marble.


And a Satyr Comma.

After around 2.25 - 2.5 miles I meet a water obstacle that I can't go around or hop over on rock or logs. It's definitely a wade thru 4-6 inches of water. Not happening today. I knew that getting thru to the end would still not be possible (without getting wet) - happy to get as far as I did and see what I've seen (and keep  my dry feet).

Now to head back.

I do see new flyers on the return...including Mylitta Crescents (This one looks like a Pale Crescent.)

My first female Orangetip (with a yellowish color and a fainter orange)

And hummingbird moth

I reach the pond again

And go by north side. I see my first dragonfly of the year.

I also see many white flying around. They could be Marbles or other. I do catch up with one and it is just a Cabbage White.

When I'm on the other side, I hear a man's voice cry out "Is that the butterfly lady?". Yes, it's my Mormon Trail biker friend "Santa Claus". Nice to see and talk to an old trail friend. I'll see him many more times this summer.

I continue on around the pond eyeing all the yellow flowers. All the White butterflies just keep moving but I see a Sulpher nectaring. Just as I move to get closer, he flies. I stand there for several minutes watching him flying around and around the meadow and never stopping again. :(

Time to move on.

On the remaining part of the trail, I find more Northern Crescents.

Anther Mylitta Cresent and my Relict Frit.

Awesome day!