Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May 5 - Lower Calf Creek Falls

Well, I've thought about it for 4 years now, but this week-end I'm FINALLY heading down to Boulder UT (in the Bryce Canyon & Capitol Reef area) to hike Lower Calf Creek Falls. The photos I've seen are pretty stunning so it's more than time to see it live.

Heading down part way (Richfield UT) on Thursday after work - knocks 2.5hrs off a 4.5 hr drive. The mountains heading down I-15 look like upside down snow cones (snow only on the tops) and the ground is various shades of green from all the snow and rain we've gotten over the winter and
so far this Spring.

As always, plenty of cattle (with little calves too) and horses.

But what is really incredible as I drive windows down, along the highway is this wonderful smell! No, not manure (although it was some what strong in spots); but this mildly sweet buttered popcorn smell. The smell is all along the highway where the ranch land is. The smell reminds me of a prairie grass called Prairie Dropseed. This low growing dainty grass, when in bloom in July/Aug, has a similar smell. I doubt Prairie Dropseed grows here but possibly a relative or another native grass that's in bloom now. Wonderful wonderful smell!!!

Now to today (Friday),...

It's a beautiful sunny morning in the mid-40s. Heading into the 80s today. I head out east from Richfield; still many cows (and babies - some of them hard to see as they a flat against the ground "hiding").

As I get higher in elevation, the cows are replaced by sheep and when I drop in elevation again, the cows reappear.

As I get closer to Torrey (the entrance to Capitol Reef National Park), I can start seeing the rocky landscape.

I reach Torrey but instead of entering the park, I turn south on HWY 12 towards Boulder. As I head south, I leave the ranchland and the rock formations and head up a mountain into aspen/pine
country. Quite the drastic change from what I've already driven through but it's very beautiful. The aspen has not yet leafed; there's still snow on the ground in spots (a good amount of snow).

I startle one deer along the way and brake for a marmot (or a very large/fat ground squirrel). I keep climbing until I reach the summit at 9600ft. Snow still covers the landscape at the summit. But in front of me is once again that beautiful rock landscape.

Pretty impressive. But the views soon disappear as I head back into the forest.

As I'm coming down the mountain and rounding a bend, I see 4 deer standing on the edge of the road all looking at me. I slam on my brakes...thankfully, the deer do the right thing and run into the forest instead of across the highway. Whew!

A little further down, I reach a side road that heads to the Deer Peak trail. I slow just to check if the road might  be doable with my car. I see at least 10 deer the trail -- aptly named trail I guess.

Soon I reach Boulder (a very small town) and pass the Burr Trail road - I'll be driving later today as getting to the Lower Creek Falls trail is at the top of my list (and before it's gets too crowded). The trail is still 15'sh miles ahead....across the Hogsback.

The Hogsback is HWY crossing the spine of this valley of white rocks. It's really should be on everyone's "must-see" list if you appreciate the power of Mother Nature. It's also a Hwy without mercy as for several miles there really isn't much of a road edge, no guardrails and it's a long way down. But it's extremely beautiful.

The only pull-off I know of is on the north edge and I do stop.

And then it's across the spine and I arrive at Lower Calf Creek!!

Several cars already parked when I arrive around 9:30; I get one of the two remaining spots. I grab my pack and plenty of water (already in the 70s) and head off on the 3 mile trail.

The trail is a wonderful mix of short stretches thru oaks, highly vegetated sections especially when near the creek, rock sections and plenty of sand - always changing, never getting boring.


I'm hiking below the Hogbacks so there are canyons walls.


All these different environments lead to plenty of singing birds (but they are extremely hard to find for some reason). I catch up to this one (Spotted Towhee -- with an attitude) who is constantly calling.

There are also several Vultures flying over the canyon walls.

The flowers are pretty incredible!! And this is just a few of them!




Even the trees and shrubs were blooming....




And even a cactus.



Lots of lizards scampering around the trail and thru the leaves.


The flowers are a good nectar source for the many butterflies I see. Besides Margined and Checkered Whites, Orange Sulpher, and Painted Ladies, Western and Two-tailed Swallowtails, I see Pacuvius Duskwing


Variable "Anicia" Checkerspots

and Common Checked Skippers on the way to the Falls.



I know I'm getting close to the Falls when the canyon closes in,

it stays forested and the creek is right alongside the trail.

Finally, I get a glimpse of the 130 ft falls ahead of me. I actually pass up some butterflies puddling (believe it or not, the Falls is more important right now).

And there she is - Lower Calf Creek Falls!! Amazing!!!



(There's only one group of people here and they are all huddled together under the trees...I got here in time!)

I stay for a bit and when I start heading back, there's many many people coming down the trail.

Now that I'm in no hurry, I do stop at that mud puddle and see a Two-tailed Swallowtail.


and Common Checkered Skippers.

A little further down the trail, I come upon another muddy section and find a couple of Variegated Frits.

As I wander back, I wonder with all this water where are the dragonflies? I only see one the entire trip. Maybe it's too early.

With all this water, one would expect to see dragonflies but I only see one the entire hike. Maybe it's still too early.

But the views are still mighty fine heading back!!


Awesome hike!!!! Highly recommended!

Well it's time for lunch and for that it's back across the Hogsback to Boulder - the Burr Trail Grill is next on my list. I have a wonderful lunch (and great Apple Pie) then I'm off for a drive down the Burr Trail Road.

The Burr Trail Road is a 69 mile road from Boulder across Capitol Reef to Bullfrog. Only the first 30 miles from Boulder are paved and that's as far as I will be going today.

I've been on this road once before on a hiking trip; it was a very rainy day and the canyon walls had streams of water flowing over them - very pretty.

Well there's no rain in the forecast today so the dry scenery will have to do. As I head down the road, it start as ranch land/cows and then abruptly switches to white rock.

Further down, I reach red rock.

Then I drive down a few switchbacks into the canyon.

At the mile 11 mark is a small slot canyon ("Singing Canyon").

I continue down the road for only 15 miles before I turned around.

On the way out, I stop at the top of the switchbacks to look where I had just been.

Then it's back across the Hogsback one last time as I head for my hotel in Tropic (outside of Bryce). I make a few stops along the way for the views.

Awesome day!