Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 19 - Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon

Heading down to central Utah today to do something I've wanted to do since arriving in Utah; hike a slot canyon. My first year here, folks told me about Little Wild Horse Canyon near Goblin Valley State Park (just north of Hanksville). I went but couldn't figure out how to get into the canyon as there was a big boulder blocking the entrance. :(

When I was leaving, a DNR fellow told me how to get around boulder but I wasn't going back that day...more things on my list to do that day.

Well, today (4 years later) is the day to head back a get this hike done!!

Cool morning in Salt Lake - high 30s when I leave. The clouds from the "cold" snowy storm of the last few days are still lingering but it's clearing. I leave around 6:15am for the 3.5 - 4 hr drive to the to Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Heading down I-15 thru the Salt Lake Valley is really pretty this morning. The sun hasn't quite risen above the mountains but the glow is there (ok, the sun is above some of the lower peaks but for the most part, it's not visible). Couple that glow with the light low-level clouds and the snowy mountains and it's pretty incredible!! What a way to start the morning!

I was expecting the skies to be clear in central UT but when I arrive at the intersection for Goblin Valley and the road to Little Wild Horse, it's very cloudy.

at Little Wild Horse canyon, it's 50 and cloudy - a bit nippy out. Many cars already here at 9:45am; when I was here 4 years ago, I was the only one - what a change!

Today's hike can be a loop by combining Little Wild Horse and Bells Canyon into an 8 mile hike. I have no intention of doing that today. Figured I head up Little Wild Horse for 2-2.5 miles (the canyon is supposed to really open up -- no more slots to wind thru), then head back and then up Bells Canyon for a bit. It is said that Little Wild Horse is the prettier of the slot canyon, I'll find out.

I head up the wash to the actual canyon (about 0.4 miles).

A few flowers along the way:









When I reach the canyon entrance, the big boulder is still there along with a big puddle of water; good thing I'm not going that way. And here's to hoping this is the only water I see today.

There are a few people climbing out of the canyon -- I walk up the right side to watch.

I really don't want to go down the way they're coming out but I'm doing this hike...today!

Well, the good thing about many hikers is some know of alternates ways to get into the canyon (like heading further down the left side), so I follow along. Definitely easier!

I'm finally in the canyon at the intersection of Bells Canyon to the left and Little Wild Horse to the right.

I start my hike thru Little Wild Horse not really knowing what to expect. I know the hike is rated "easy". But how close are the walls? Are they so tight, two-way traffic is not possible? What about climbing over/around obstacles?

The canyon stays wide for a little bit


Before I enter the first slot. It's really would have been nice to have the sun (and shadows) but its really pretty.

Walking is pretty easy thru the windy slot.

Gets a little tight only briefly; all is good.

It opens for a bit

Before entering another narrow section.

Soon I reach a wedged boulder which I have to stoop under.



Then another opening.

The next slot is flooded -- about 1.5 ft deep. People are heading thru

But this is my end point for the day. Definitely not the 2.5 miles, but I like my nice warm dry feet. :)

Time to head back thru the twists and curves.


On the way back, I notice weird looking formations in the rock walls.

I also spot canyon life, a green moth!!

A little further along, I find another moth.

 Soon I exit Little Wild Horse and I reach the intersection again. I then head up Bells Canyon (this canyon is only 1.8 miles).

This is a pretty canyon.

It's not as narrow but more rocky.

I reach a part where I can see into the canyon and take the opportunity.

And then inside the twisty walls.


Despite all the rock, I find a caterpillar trying to make his way across. I have no idea where he came from.


Well, I'm not making my way to the end of this canyon either today. Not water, just a big boulder blocking the way. Folks have piled rocks to help but its 4-4.5 ft to the top. It's all good, I've had a blast!!

On the way out, I find a small letter "O" on the walls.

I reach the intersection and make my way out of the canyon. Lovely view! (Nice to have the sun out!!)

I make my way back up the Wash

Stopping for lizards.

I have lunch with a perfect view.

Before heading over to Goblin Valley.