Monday, May 29, 2017

May 29 - Deep Creek Canyon (Juab County)

Sunny and low 80s for today. My original plans were to hike in the snowy (but melting) mountains. But then an opportunity came to do some butterflying with the local Lep Society to somewhere I've never been. I've got to go -- but I know I'll have to watch them collect the butterflies - which is something I'm just not used to.

Heading to Deep Creek Canyon just south of Levan UT in Juab County (about 1.5-2 hrs south of Salt Lake). Just a handful of folks - 6 adults and 3 kids (2 infants).

It's a left turn a few miles south of Levan. The Deep Creek Canyon Wildlife Management area is a narrow (in spots) dirt road that eventually dead ends in less than 10 miles. The elevation starts around 5650 ft and ends about 1000 ft higher at Slide Rock Hollow (that's from the only information I can find on-line.)

As we head up, the canyon is on the left and a mountain side on the right. Mostly open and sunny but there are sections that are under the shade of trees. Lots of oak here and with leaves (which are not present yet around SLC).

Many butterflies flying: duskywings, and 2-tailed, Western and Pale Swallowtails as we drive along. We stop about 1/2 way up and walk the road up (or east).

Continue to see all three Swallowtails all day. This Pale Swallowtail was a victim of a heavy net swipe - tore wing :(

Both Rocky Mt Duskwings and Northern Cloudywings (another victim) were patrolling the roads.

Many Sagebrush Checkerspots out too!

Including a mated pair.

I also caught up with several Western Tailed Blues

and a Silvery Blue.

We also saw a Weidenmeyers Admiral (1st one of the year), Hoary Comma, Common Ringlets and a Juba Skipper.

It was recommended we head into the canyon but it was a little steep (I think only one person went down).

At one point, we see an AZ Sister which was quickly netted. (Again 1st one of the year.) I walked back with the leader to the car to put the bfly on ice (for my photo -- which didn't unfortunately turn out).

But while we were waiting and Queen flies by. (Looks a little like a Monarch -- not too common in UT).  Despite my failed photo, the AZ Sister was added to a collection.

As we wander back to the cars, I see another orange flyer -- didn't really take a good look just thought it was a Mylitta Crescent. Then I get home ... it's a Pale Crescent! (This was one of the "potential species" for today.)


After about an hour, we moved up to the end of the road. No more canyon on the left - just the mountainside. Wandering around this area, I see more Western Tailed Blues and a Northern Cresent.

As we move the end of the road, a Painted Lady caterpillar was found. (They make nests.)

I move on to the end of the road. On the right, is a creek. Here we quickly spotted a Painted Lady and a Red Admiral (actually 2) females laying eggs. A couple of folks were collecting the eggs to raise.


I move to the left and quickly see 2 Two-banded Skippers (beautiful) -- a mated pair. Very cool! I've only seen these high in the mountains.

I call folks over and the pair were quickly netted for a collection after I was done with photos. (Ugh! OK that one hurt a little. But it made someone happy too.)

From there I wandered to the creek, plenty of Rocky Mt Duskywings, Northern Cloudywings

and Western Tailed Blues here.

And then down the road to see California Tortoiseshell caterpillars. But first, a Large Marble is caught (and released).

The CA Tortoiseshell eggs were laid last Fall. (Those were collected.)

We also manage to see 1 CA Tortoiseshell on wing as well as one of the first Coronis Frits.

We also see a Mourning Cloak.

I wander over to an area that had many blooming flowers. There I see Field Crescents



An Orangetip is caught in the net away down the road from me. I see the butterfly (it's a different subspecies from the ones I've been seeing around here recently). It's added to a collection.

Other critters viewed today include a lizard

And a dragonfly.

Good day!