Friday, October 6, 2017

Oct 5 - Silver Lake (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Heading up Big Cottonwood Canyon to check out the Fall colors and to see if the aspen have finally turned yellow in the higher elevations or are just dropping because of 2 week-end snowfalls and below normal temperatures.

I head out after work and driving up the canyon proves quite colorful especially as the lower elevations. Then there are the taller peaks all covered in snow; quite pretty.

Around Silver Fork, the aspen are quite yellow but that is the only place.

I arrive at Silver Lake (basically the end of the road) and there is very little color. :( It's also a bit chilly with temps in the high 40s and a good wind.

I head out to the boardwalk -- lots of brown grasses and the mountains are snowy but hard to see with the sun shining right behind them.

I start around the boardwalk in the usual counter-clockwise direction. Just past the footbridge, I spot a Painted Lady trying to fly against the wind. Hardy little flyer.

My plan is to head up to the switchback above Silver Lake; not going to Twin Lakes today, I don't have the time.

I reach my trail head in the corner of the lake and start my way up to the switchback. Still small patches of snow ground and in spots, an icy trail.

Tons of aspen leaves on the ground; all green in color.

I'm surprised to see a dragonfly flying along the trail.

I reach the switchback and go slowly looking for Pika and Marmots on the rocky slopes. (Marmots were quite prevalent last summer; not so much this summer.) I quickly see one Pika and then another.


Looking down on Silver Lake shows it's definitely not a good year for Fall color in the mountains.

I'm almost across when I see 3 deer below. It looks like a Mom and her two young. The Mom and one of the young look like they are hugging - with head next to head or head to body.


Not sure what they are really doing but it continues for quite a while. I can't make things out too well so using my camera zoom in on the action.

At one point, the baby actually nurses.

Very interesting!

I continue across the switchback but nothing much to see so I turn around to head back past the deer and the Pika guarding his Winter stash.

Then down through the aspen and back to the lake.

Once at the lake, I continue around to complete the loop.

It's a bit icy on the far side -- very shady -- there's even ice on the lake in spots.

Nice short walk!