Thursday, October 26, 2017

Oct 24 - Frary Peak (Antelope Island)

Beautiful sunny day with temps in the mid-60s forecast today.

Part of me really want to head into the mountains but the other part was concerned with the snow/ice I may face so I'm heading to Antelope Island to hike the Frary Peak trail. I've only hiked this once before; it was in the Spring (I remember flowers). Didn't make it up to the top as after the 3 mile mark, the trail appears to turn very rocky - looks sketchy for me. But I still had an awesome view!! That's were I plan on stopping again today.

As I cross the causeway, I see American Avocets

and Shovelers (they're back for the winter).

I arrive on the island and head south towards the Ranch (and Frary Peak).

Not far down the road, there's a lone bison near the road.

A little further (before the gate), there are 3 other bison. One of which has a flower stuck in his horn.

Near the bison are two pronghorn grazing nearby.

I continue down the road, checking the first pullout; no animals below. Moving on the road heads downhill and at the bottom of that hill is a huge herd of bison!!

I continue onto the Frary Peak turn-off and then head up to the parking lot. Only a single car in the lot and I don't see them on the trail nearby.

The trail up Frary Peak is 3.2 miles and a tad over 2000 ft gain to ~6600 ft. (I'm only going 3.0 miles to the radio tower. I guess someday I should just try that last 1/4 mile to the top of Frary Peak instead of judging the trail by looks, but it won't be today.)

It's just 43 degrees and sunny as I start up the trail. And the trail, well, there's no warm up as it climbs 500 ft in less than 3/4 mile.

Happily, it levels off as the trail passes Dooley Knob. Below I can see another herd of bison just to the south of me.

I'm sure I'll see these guys again as I gets viewpoints to the east.

Frary Peak (the tall one) is looking nice this morning.

Before I switch over to the west side of the island, I notice 2 bison (mostly likely males) head butting below me. (I wish I was closer to see and hear the battle.)

The trail then crosses over to the west side of the island heading south towards Frary Peak - Elephant Rock is now in view as it White Rock Bay/Meadow.

The rest of the trail switches between mildly climbing to steep. Most path is mostly on the west side of the island with a few viewpoints looking east.

I pass a rocky outcropping and start hearing Chukkars and I eventually find them.

It's not long before I round a corner and there's a lone bison about 50 yards in front of me.

Not to worry, I turn south following the trail. However, Mr Bison decides to parallel me so I can't leave him alone. I keep walking, he keeps walking. Finally, he stops and start pawing the ground. Oh, he's not happy with me. I wish the trail would veer east or go uphill really soon. After pawing, he lays on the ground and starts wallowing. I don't think that's a good thing (but it's fun to watch).

Finally, the trail goes uphill (yea!)

and thru a rock tunnel

and I can leave Mr Bison behind.

He continues to move but downhill towards Elephant Rock. (Good, I won't have to deal with him later.)

Speaking of Elephant Rock, I finally pass it by.

And watch several bison running through a gully below. (Looks like a herd on the move!)

Back to the east side again; just briefly looking northeast past Dooley Knob.

I continue on. In the distance on the ridge I notice something. It's probably just a rock but I need to check it out.

Well, its not rocks....... they are Bighorn Sheep!!! A whole herd of them! (Probably 11-15 of them)

Pays to check things out!! It's the first time I've seen them here! So I'm pretty excited! And I get to watch them for quite awhile as I heading south and they are south of me. Very cool!

Looks like several males, females and this years babies. I know rutting season is coming soon and it appears the males are sniffing to see if the females are in heat.

I stop several times to take pictures. Even when I finally get parallel to them, they are far away but the camera really helps.

At around the 2.5 mile mark, I finally lose sight of them as a mountain gets in the way. Only 1/2 mile to get to Stringham Peak (6374ft) - one more hill to climb.

On the way up, I meet the folks from the other car in the parking lot. I ask them about the Sheep and they did see them; they crossed the trail in front of them.

There's the radio tower; just a few more feet.

Soon I'm on top with a 360 view of the world!

South towards Frary Peak.

West

North

and East.

Awesome!!!

I find a spot to take a break and have lunch...with the world below me feet.

Time to head down.

On the way, I look for the sheep. It took me a while but I find a bunch of them feeding a bit lower than they were previously. The others might be around and just blending into the landscape or they might have move on.

I continue down catching sight of 2 butterflies. I'm not sure what they are but I did see a flash of orange. A bit further down,, I see another and it's a (surprise) a California Tortoiseshell!!

I never knew they flew here. But then the only times I ever hike is in the Fall, Winter, and Spring (before the biting gnats come out) so that's not prime butterfly season. I guessing those other two were CA Tortoiseshells as well.

I finally have Dooley Knob in view again and White Rock Bay.

Looks like there are a couple of Bison in White Rock Meadow and a whole herd up on Beacon Knob.

I'm finally down at the trailhead were I find a Melissa Blue!!

Incredible day!

On the way back up the island, that large herd of bison is still there. But there are 3 pronghorn to the south of them at the water well.

Can't beat this day!!