Saturday, October 28, 2017

Oct 27 - Little Cottonwood Trail (Little Cottonwood Canyon)

Heading out for a quick after work hike today. It's a great day - sunny and around 60 degrees. Looking for something with a chance of color so I decide to head to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon to hike the Little Cottonwood Trail. I've been on this many many times, mostly in the Spring and Winter.

I opt for the shorter hike so I bypass the main lower parking (saves me 2 miles round-trip) for the smaller upper parking. By the looks of the trees along the road, there won't be many leaves to look at today just naked trees - oh well.

I arrive at the upper parking and head down to the trail. There's sun but most of this hike will be in the shade as the trail is near the mountains and the sun so low this time of the year and not making it over the peak down to the trail. Glad I brought my fleece (wish I brought my gloves though).

I head to the left and the end of the trail. Pretty bare trail, no birds singing, and I don't see/hear any critter running around....just the flowing of the stream to listen to.

I do spot a butterfly in a small sunny section. Mostly likely a Comma but I didn't really get a good look.

I arrive at the end of the trail and the old concrete building. The creek is low but flowing.

Time to head downhill to the lower bridge about 2 miles away.

I make a stop at the water wheel (water here)

But not on the other side (from a bridge less than 50 yards away). Siphoned away for our water supply.

Down, down I go until I arrive at the final bridge. A trickle of water flowing here. This is the current state of the waterfall.

Time to head back.

Good little hike.