Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Oct 18 - Twin Lakes Pass (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Cool morning today (in the 30s) but highs heading up near 70. Heading up to hike  to Twin Lakes Pass (9993ft) at the end of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I've been up to Twin Lakes several times this season but it's finally time to head to the Pass. I've been there once, last Fall after a snowfall. Unbelievable! (With the exception of the power lines that cut thru the view at the Pass.)

Almost 40 degrees when I arrive after 9am. Not many people here yet but as I take off, several cars of school kids arrive -- if there were any animals around, they were sure to be running for cover from the yelling/screaming. :)

The sun already has melted the frost from the vegetation as I work my way counter-clockwise around the boardwalk. The peaks still have some snow on them -- looks good even in the early morning sun.

The lake level of Silver Lake has dropped, the ducks have left ....... but still looking good.

I decide to go directly to Twin Lakes instead of looping up there past Lake Solitude --- the reason is simple: sunlight = warmth. (The Pass is 2.2 miles and ~1200ft in elevation.)

So I head up thru the now bare aspen trees.

There's a hawk circling overhead.

I reach the ridge and slowly pass thru the rock slide looking for Pika. I hear a couple but only catch a glimpse of one.

At the end of the ridge, there's a bunch of trees. Last time I was here, I saw a doe and her 2 fawns. As I pass thru today I'm looking at the trail because it's an icy stretch when I hear a rustling to my left. I look up and see a lone doe in the trees not far from the trail.

I look forward to start moving again when I see 2 more deer move off the trail and into the trees. Hard to see them from where I'm standing so I move up the trail a bit and find them. I thought perhaps these were the Mom & 2 fawns I saw last time but the one deer looks like another adult and then the other is much smaller.

Moving on and up to Twin Lakes.

The trail is pretty clear, some spots soon to be muddy but mostly dry.

Soon I reach the dam and then Twin Lakes. The lake is even lower!! I head down to the shoreline. Awesome!!


Above the other side of the lake is the Pass.

I think there might be 2 Lakes today but I'll find out when I get higher. Time to continue up to the Pass... with a stop at my "perch" first. (I have to wade thru some snow to get there though.) Clearly almost Twin Lakes now!! Just a bit of water connecting them.


I then continue up the road trying to find the Pass Trail. Fortunately, there's snow on the left side of the road. I find tons of tiny prints (chipmunks, squirrels) in the snow and finally, I see bigger tracks and head up thru the snow. I get to the top and there's the trail - success!!!!

I pop up with the other side of Twin Lakes below me. And then continue along the trail to the Pass.

Looking for moose below .... but none visible.

At the Pass, I can see down on Twin Lakes (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

And the on the other side of the Pass, I can see down Little Cottonwood Canyon to the Salt Lake Valley.

Pretty awesome!

I move down the trail so I don't see the power lines crossing the valley, find a rock and have lunch.

Time to head down to Twin Lakes.

And then continuing back to my car. On the way down, I find 3 deer -- perhaps they are the ones from earlier in the day.

And as I move forward, 3 more come trotting up the hill joining them!

Soon I reach the ridge and pass the area where I saw the 3 earlier. I look down and there's one laying in the grasses. Looks like it's nap time.

I keep looking for others and finally notice another nearby.

Though I'm sure these two are the ones I saw earlier in the morning, I never find the third.

Awesome day!