Saturday, October 14, 2017

Oct 13 - East Canyon Mormon Trail

Beautiful day, sunny with temps in the low 60s. The valley is a bit hazy (same as yesterday) as the smoke from the CA wildfires blows in.

Heading up to check out the Fall colors in the foothills between Salt Lake and Park City. Specifically heading up East Canyon past the Big Dell Reservoir up to Big Mountain.

Definitely lots of color; mostly oaks as the aspen and other trees are pretty much done at this elevation (~6000ft).  Great drive but no where to pull-off and enjoy the colors.

So on the way down, I park at a small parking lot located where the Mormon Trail that starts at the Reservoir crosses the road. I know the trail well as I've walked it several times during the winter.

At first I cross the road and head northwest until I'm almost at Affleck Park.

Then I return to my car

And continue southeast

towards the reservoir to a large meadow.

Along the way, I do see a few Asters and dragonflies.

Lovely colors!