Sunday, November 5, 2017

Nov 2 - Twin Lakes (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Partly cloudy and mid-60s, it's a perfect day for an after work hike....and it will be the last one of the season as the time change this week-end will push darkness to 5:30.

Driving up the canyon, it's conifers and naked trees -- very bare.

When I arrive at Silver Lake, it's 45 degrees and the wind is blowing before our week-end storm comes in.

The peaks, as I walk around the lake, are hard to see due to the elevation/direction of the sun.

The prep for the winter season has begun as the tall orange flags are now present along the boardwalk. Also, I can see what looks like snow making machines on the Brighton slopes.

Crossing the footbridge, I see one fish swimming in the water below.

I head directly to Twin Lakes thru the bare Aspens arriving at the switchback above Twin Lakes.

I carefully look for Pika as I cross - I see two!

I also see a Stellar's Jay flying along the trail.

Up, up to Twin Lakes.

At one point I look up and I see something dark entering the woods. I look in the woods but see nothing -- maybe it was just bird or just the sun in my eyes. A couple of steps further, I see a deer crossing the trail!! I find the other one that crossed before him. (Good I wasn't seeing things!)

A few steps further, I see 2 (no 3) deer on the other side of the trail.

Cool, a herd of 5 deer!

A bit further, I stop 3 on the ridge!!

As I finish the last bit of the uphill section, I see another deer down to the left. Perhaps, she's one I've already seen and it is just moving up the hill or it's another deer.

I arrive at Twin Lakes. (Water levels are still dropping.)

I head down the trail along the lake. I'm not heading all the way to the other end, just the connector where the two lakes meet - that's a little more than 1/2 way down the lake. Lot's of steep beach along the way.

Once there I head off trail to the "beach" and walk down to Lake #2. Along the way, I see many deer tracks in the sand. I stop with Twins Lake Pass to the left of the peak.

Then I head up the beach along the connector.

Stopping on a rock for a short rest.

One more look at the Pass and then it's time to head back.

On the way down, I see no deer but find 3 Pika in the rocks over Silver Lake.

Lovely hike.