Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sept 9 - Antelope Island

The weather forecast is saying that Antelope Island will have a high of 74 (while Salt Lake City is in the low 80s) so I'm heading up to Antelope Island for my first visit in a couple of months. My plan is hike the Sentry Trail and check whether there is still a population of Melissa Blue butterflies a year after the big fire.

Beautiful morning with clear skies with a temperature of 71 when I reach the island just after 8am. The scenery along the causeway is dry as expected. When I reach the water, there's still lots of birds, mostly Seagulls along the shore and in the water.

The water in Farmington Bay is perfectly still and the reflections are wonderful.

As I reach the island, I'm greeted by a bison on the southern corner of the lake and road. I turn left and head south behind the Visitor's Center.

I quickly notice a couple of cars pull off the side of the road. Well, I don't see anything so I pull off too. I look towards the lake but see nothing. I look up towards the Visitor's Center and there's at least 6 male mule deer with large sets of antlers!

(I think any hunter would be drooling right now -- good thing there's no hunting on the island.)

I continue on passing a bison here and a bison there.

Further down the road on top of big hill, is a herd of bison. Then a bit further down the road at top the White Rock Trail ridge is yet another large herd of bison. (Kinda glad I didn't decide to hike there today.)

There are several more herds of bison as I make my way down to the Ranch.

The landscape along the way is dry and brown but what's amazing is the number of bright yellow sunflowers towering over that dry brown color. I don't think I've even seen so many sunflowers and resulting yellow patches everywhere. Pretty amazing!!!


I reach the Ranch and head down to the parking area. On the way, I see a lone female deer grazing behind the Ranch.

And a Pronghorn on the left side of the road moving thru the tall dry grasses.

Ahead of me on left side of the road just south of the parking area are bison

and on the right side of the road near Mushroom Springs is another herd of bison. Those bison may just end my hike depending on where they are exactly located near (or far) from the trail.

I reach the parking area and head for the trail. I'm detoured by a small butterfly sighting. It's a Gray Hairstreak!

I start up the trail walking towards the herd of bison at Mushroom Springs. I'm looking for animals of course. But I'm really hunting for the Melissa Blues. There's usually a population of them flying this time of year along the trail to Mushroom Springs. But a big fire last year, burned this area; I'm hoping to find at least one this year.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding them. :( (There's still hope as it's only 9am.)

I am seeing several Clouded Sulphurs but not in pre-fire numbers, lots of grasshoppers,

and a few dragonflies.

And tons of Sunflowers!!


And two Rocky Mt Bee Plant.

As I get closer to the Spring, I realize that the bison will be ending my hike today. They are too close to the trail. I could get around but the return trip could be tricky if they move the wrong direction. So it's time to turn around.

On the way back, I spot an animal in the distance to the north. It's a Pronghorn! Probably the same one I saw earlier.

To the south in the distance, I see yet another Pronghorn!!

I'm still looking for the Blue and I finally see something small and flying (that's not a grasshopper). Its lands. It's a Melissa Blue!!!! So exciting!

It's the only one I see but they're back! Happiness!

I reach the trail head and start back to my car when I start stepping over what I thought is a branch but it's a snake!!!! (Gopher snake I think.)

It's not a rattler so it's cool! And it's a really pretty snake. It's in the middle of the road and a car is coming so I scare it across the rest of the road.

I reach my car and then continue south along the road. Right after I pass the trail, I'm surprised to find a Pronghorn. This is not the one that I was watching in the distance - not sure how I missed it.

I continue down the road and catch up with the one I was watching from the trail.

I reach the end of the road and turn around and start heading back north.

I pass the Ranch and then all the bison herds I saw in the way in. In one of those herds, I find a "Baby Red" - newborn.

Most of the bison calve in the Spring; this one is out of season. When the Bison Round-up is done later this Fall, this Mom and calf will be separated from the herd for the calf's protection from Winter as well as get the mother back in-sync with the rest of the herd. Quite a little find though!

Near the Frary Peak turn-off, I see at least 5 Pronghorn walking south. I stop to watch. There's one (probably this year's baby) that having some fun by running around and around the herd. Soon all of them are trotting south.

On the other side of Frary Peak, that herd of bison that was up on the White Rock ridge have moved down towards the road. That's a big herd!

Further down the road by the water bin is a herd of bison. One is still at the bin

as the rest of the herd moves towards Farmington Bay.

There's one straggler and he takes a break to wallow.

I'm nearing the main road when I see my 4th solo Pronghorn of the day on the uphill side of the road.

Moving on I reach the main road again behind the Visitor's Center. The bison are still there

but there are also two Pronghorn resting.

Let's see 4 solos, a pair, and a herd of 4-6; that's at least 9 for the day! Not bad!

I head to the west side of the island hoping to see those large buck as they moved this way earlier in the day. But I find only bison and more bison. No large herds just solo males.

Soon I'm back on the causeway and heading home.

Awesome day!