Friday, September 22, 2017

Sept 19 - A Snowy Twin Lakes Walk

Well, I missed the 1st mountain snowfall of the season last Friday - just wasn't enough to head up on Saturday to view.

But today it rained hard in the valley and of course, that fell as snow in the mountains. This one I can't miss so after work, I grab my stuff and head up Big Cottonwood Canyon to see snowy peaks.

My "quick" choices are either Lake Mary (Brighton Ski Resort) or Twin Lakes. I choose Twin Lakes (even though I was just there) - I like the walk better.

I arrive around 4:30pm. It's 41 degrees and still mostly cloudy. There is some blue sky and sun but it a little north of me.

I walk out to the boardwalk -- not bad!

Looks like just a couple of inches fell around the lake. The boardwalk is snow covered - flattened by lots of feet walking around. If it don't melt soon, it'll be a bit slick tomorrow morning.

I head counter-clockwise around the lake to get to the trail quicker. Lovely views!

I get to the trail and take the direct route to Twin Lakes (instead of the loop to Lake Solitude). I head up through the still green aspens. The snow is melting and falling through the trees. Getting a bit wet from the dripping trees and occasionally, a clump of snow falls on my head or my shoulder.

The ground vegetation and small pine trees are heavy with snow - looks nice.

Soon I'm out of the woods and crossing above Silver Lake.

Then it's up, up to Silver Lake.

Almost there!

I arrive and it's quiet, crisp and fresh! The lake is perfectly still.


I try to find a place to sit but the rocks are either wet or snow covered so I just wander around.

Then it's time to head down.

Stopping for one chipmunk having dinner.

Back across the ridge above Silver Lake. I hear a couple of Pika but only find one.

When I get back down to Silver Lake, I continue around the Lake.

Great evening!!