Sunday, September 17, 2017

Sept 17 - Lake Solitude - Twin Lakes Loop

Heading into the mountains today; specifically going to hike the Lake Solitude - Twin Lakes loop. It's been about a month since I've walked this loop and with Fall arriving very quickly, it's time to check out if the leaves are changing yet.

Cool night, down into the 40s again in the valley. Since it'll be even cooler up near 9000 ft, I've drug the mittens and fleece for my hike today.

As I head up the canyon, there are trees that are changing - some red and oranges. But the aspen are still green - just a few patches of yellow.

When I arrive around 9:15, it's still in the 40s with a light wind but sunny (well, mostly sunny). Quite a few folks out already walking around Silver Lake.

I hear a guy talking about 3 moose - a Mom/Calf and a big male - on the other side of the lake. I can see the Mom moose at the water's edge on the other side.

And walk as fast as I can in the counterclockwise direction to get closer. I do make a few stops to check out the arrival on Fall at this elevation.

I get to the other side and am walking in the direction of the Moose. I get just past the dock and I'm stopped by a volunteer. The moose (the big male) is just ahead in the trees next to the trail.

The volunteer is preventing anyone from passing for safety reasons.

I go back to the dock hoping to see the female but she is no longer in the open. So it's time to head for Lake Solitude and start my hike.

As I pass thru the aspen, not much color change in the trees yet. The ground vegetation is mostly dry and brown. There are still patches of purple asters along the way.

It's a quick walk to Lake Solitude.

Then the climb to the ridge above Twin Lakes. I'm not thinking about butterflies today -- it's very cold but as I round Lake Solitude in some blooming Asters, a very worn Ruddy Copper flies and lands on an Aster! Surprise!

Many chipmunks running around the lake looking for food. With the touch of snow on Friday, I'm should their winter preparations have picked up.

I continue up the big hill and soon arrive above Twin Lakes. Wow! The lake levels have really dropped!! Just a month ago, there was still water flowing over the spill way.

I head to my "perch" so a short break to enjoy the view.

There's a few young Northern Flickers (I think) flying.

Time to head down to the lake to explore the beach front property. But before I get there, I see a Fritillary trying to warm up rock.

Then it's time to go to the beach.

A quick stop atop the dam.


And then it's time to head down to Silver Lake again.

As I pass above Silver Lake, I look for the moose below but don't see them.

I can hear a Pika but never see it.

When I get back to Lake Solitude, I head back to where I had gotten spotted several hours because of a moose. When I get there, a guy who was there several hours is still there. I don't see the moose so I ask him if it was OK to pass. The volunteer stood up and said not yet as the Moose is now bedded down but he's not far from the trail. Oh well, time to head home.

Great day!