Saturday, September 16, 2017

Sept 16 - White Rock Trail (Antelope Island)

Well we're done with the 10 degree above normal temperatures that we've been having; now we're 20 degrees below normal!! I love it! We even had snowfall above 9000 ft yesterday. Just a dusting but it's still snow!

With the forecast for mountain snow yesterday (Friday), I was ready to change my Saturday hiking plans to go "play" in the snow. However, when I looked at the Snow Cams at a couple of the resorts, it just wasn't worth going. So my plans are still set; I'm going back to Antelope Island to hike the White Rock Trail. (It's supposed to be sunny with highs in the 60s.)

It's sunny and 51 degrees when I arrive around 8:30am.

Instead of heading directly to the trail, I decide to go to the Ranch looking for animals.

Well, the drive is a bit different that last week. The sunflowers are still blooming and the yellow patches of sunflowers are still visible but all of the many groups of bison I saw last week on the drive to the Ranch, they are gone. I only see two lone bison on the way one walking south along the shoreline; the other walking through the grasses.

I am fortunate to see two deer (a buck and a doe); other folks had found them, I just pulled over to see what they were looking at - paid off again!

And then when I am almost at the Ranch, I see two pronghorn trotting towards the road. I stop short of them just in case they still want to cross the road. As soon as I stop, they do to same.

As I'm waiting, I look in my rear view mirror to check for cars, when I see some animal cross behind me in the distance. My brain quickly goes to coyote but I'm not sure (but I'm excited!)

When the Pronghorn both trot off to the south, I continue to the Ranch, turn around (BTW: there's no bison down by Mushroom Springs), and head back looking for whatever crossed the road. I find the two Pronghorn from minutes ago, they are still heading south. I pass them by very slowly and then I see them, it's more Pronghorn. The two that crossed behind me (I'm not sure how I missed them) are moving to a few more animals. They are moving very slowly to the north.

I think the other two are part of that herd.

I continue up the island passing Frary Peak and then I see another car pulled off. I look left, nothing. I look right and there's two Pronghorn (again male and female) running to the road. Again I stop short allowing them plenty of room to cross the road. Just before they get to the road, they stop. Frightened to cross the road but also frightened of the bicycles that are coming up the trail behind them.

The male trots south pass my car and crosses the road behind my car. The female looks a bit confused and walks towards my car. I'm thinking she'll just follow the males path but at the last second, she crosses right in front of my car.

She meets up with the male and they trot off. Pretty cool!!

Well, it's time to head to the West side to start my trail. As I head over, I pass behind the Visitor's Center, no animals. No animals visible on Bison Point. However, there are about 10 bison on the south side of Bison Point; I pass by a few on the way to the trail. Finally!

I'm surprised there's only a few cars in the parking area. (I guess the mountain trails are still open so why come here.)

I start the trail in the clockwise direction. Lots of brown grasses and sunflowers along the way. And many dragonflies flying!!

I see one bison to the east of the trail. He's just wallowing in the dirt and then taking a nap.

I start up the switchbacks finding a couple of pink flowers along the way.

Strangely quiet out as there's no birds calling (or flying) just the wind blowing.

Seeing lots of antelope/deer scat along the trail; there might be a herd up here somewhere.

I'm almost done with the climbing when I see a form in the distance; it's a Pronghorn!

Soon I reach the White Rock meadow -- no bison down there either. (The cooler weather and rain must have sent them to the south end of the island.)

The views are good but very hazy.

I decide to do the big loop instead of the shorter one. (I think the larger one is a 1/2 mile longer.) It's the one I normally do and it's that time of the year for the Western Pygmy Blue butterfly to fly.

As I cross the ridge, the island definitely got it's share of rain yesterday - largest puddle I've seen in years!

I get to the far side of the meadow when I finally find a dragonfly that wants it's photo taken (finally)! It's a Meadowhawk.

And I see a Painted Lady.

It's here that a DNR truck stops and asks if I'm doing Ok; have plenty of water; and ask if I can make it back. I've been walking around here for 5 summers now; that's first! Perhaps they've had issues this summer and are now doing patrols.

Continuing on I find some Primrose in bloom.

The "spent" ones are pink.

I reach the western edge of the meadow and start north to the parking lot. Along the way I find a few more Painted Ladies, several Western Branded Skippers,

and Common Checkered Skippers. (This one is really beaten up.)

But no Western Pygmy Blues.

I also see a hummingbird, 3 lizards and several "alive" beetles,

(The others I saw were mowed over by bicycles).

And some interesting nectaring insects.

Even though the meadow looks empty, I keep scanning and hoping. And I see something in the distance. It's a Pronghorn. Nope there's two. The one takes off running and the other catches up and turns her around and move her back to a larger herd!!! Probably 10 animals. Appears that the one is probably trying to keep his harem together.

(Later on the hike, I met a guy on Trail Patrol. He told me they don't form harems until late October. Perhaps this male Pronghorn was a little confused by the weather change cause it does feel like October.)

After a bit, they all take off running to the south. Very cool!

Soon I reach my car and head around towards the Visitor's Center. There's one bison and a pronghorn on the north end of the Visitor's Center. And another bison along the lake shore.

Nice way to end a wonderful day!