Thursday, April 20, 2017

April 19 - Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook

A clear day sandwiched between 2 rainy days, it's time for a short hike after work. The choices are still limited unless I want to trudge through snow so I'm heading back to Millcreek Canyon and the Desolation Trail.

It's in the upper 50s at the trail head. The sun is out in clear skies but most of the trail is in the shade.

Tons of Glacier Lilies in bloom now from the start to the end of the trail.

The Heart-leafed Arnicas are up as well but still just green plants.

On the rest of the trail, nothing really new (plants, tree's budding, etc) other than it's all free of snow except the final switchback.

There are more Spring Beautys now.

A few Yellowbells.

A few Buttercups (mostly towards the end of the trail).

As well as a single Steer's Head.

Oops, the Yellow Violets are starting to bloom now.

The viewpoint is hazy tonight (and a bit windy).

Still lots of snow looking southeast (I think Neffs Canyon is in that snowpile - must hike that at some point.)

On the way down, I see something interesting as I stop to tie my shoe.

Good day!