Sunday, April 16, 2017

April 16 - Grandeur Peak (The 1st Saddle, no peak)

Beautiful Easter morning, sunny and almost 50 degrees! Heading out to hike up Grandeur Peak (or at least see how far I do make it; there's still snow on the peak).

I get started just before 10 am. As I would expect for any Sunday (even more so on Easter Sunday), there are only a few cars parked along side the road. (It's roadside parking because the road thru the picnic area to the trail head parking doesn't open until Memorial Day.

It's sunny and the stream is running fast; lovely sound.

And running downhill.

The trail up to the trail head is a mix of sun and shade but I just follow the creek up the hill. The trail finally ends at the road which I have to follow past one waterfall

And another waterfall.

Before reaching the trail. The crosses the upper part of the waterfall on a foot bridge.

I'm looking for butterflies (especially in the muddy areas) but find none; perhaps on the way back.

The trail continues uphill thru the forest. Most of the trail follows the creek but it veers off at times. I do find some snow on the other side of the creek in one area.

No flowers blooming yet but the plants are certainly poking out of the ground. Oops, the OregonGrape are starting to bloom.

As I head up, I quickly realize it's been a long winter (a bit out of shape). But I make it, finally to the switchbacks and a more steady lower incline AND the sun!!

Hoping for more flowers along this part of the trail but it's still to early. I do find a few blooming Water leaf

and the big surprise of the day - Yellowbells! (I find them in spots all the way up to the 1st saddle/viewpoint.)

There are others (besides Dandelions and more OregonGrapes) including just 2 Ballonflowers

a few Spring Beautys

a couple of Yellow Violets

and others.

Pretty quiet morning, no birds. I see a many, many of those small black moths with white dots. Just wish they would stay in one place. Also, see a few orange butterflies -- Painted Ladies probably but could be Commas or Milbert's Tortoiseshells.

Great view looking south and east along the trail.

I finally cross the rocky portion and am now on the last stretch to that first saddle.

And the saddle will be my final destination for two reasons: 1) there's still snow on the peak 2) my legs are gassed. :) (Still gaining ~1700 ft in elevation in about 2 miles.)

I'm looking hard for a little green butterfly (Sheridan's Hairstreak) which I've in this area before (and they should be flying now). But I don't find any. :(

I reach the saddle and views overlooking the city.

I climb a little hill (my Grandeur Peak for the day) and take a rest. Can't beat the views!!

To the north:


To the east:

And to the north and Grandeur Peak.

Hey, there's elk/moose scat up here!

Sitting here it's quite apparent that I can make it to the second saddle without running into snow but I'm sticking to my plan today - next time.

Time to head back.

Still looking for that butterfly and one lands in front of me. I can see the green but as I try to take a photo, he flies. (At least I saw one!!)

And a Milbert's Tortoiseshell and Painted Lady.

I continue down spotting a lizard!

(I've been hearing them scrambling thru the leaves. Finally caught up with one.)

I keep kicking up those black moths all the way down -- so frustrating.

I get back into woods on the final downhill section. Seeing more Painted Ladies, a couple of Mourning Cloaks and a Spring Azure!

There's a Comma flying but I can't tell which (Hoary or Satyr).

I finally catch up with one of those moths puddling in the same mud as the Azure.

When I reach the final waterfall, I find an Anise Swallowtail!!!

I see a few more on my way down.

I'm almost down to my car when I see a white butterfly flying in my direction -- it's not just a white; it's a Sara Orangetip (male)!!!

Awesome day!!