Thursday, July 27, 2017

July 27 - Lake Solitude - Twin Lakes Loop (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Heading up to see the summer flowers at Twin Lakes today. (Last week was the annual Wildflower Festival in Big Cottonwood Canyon, so they have to be a peak right now.)

I arrive to sunny skies and 71 degrees at around 10am. Perfect day!

The meadow is very green, lush and still wet; lots of heavy rains the last few days.

I head directly to the trail head (counter-clockwise).

I see a few Blue butterflies flitting around the meadow.

At the foot bridge, there is a Mom Mallard and only one fluffy baby duckling.

Lake is looking wonderful today!

The trail is a bit muddy this morning and in fact, there's a little stream running down from the higher slopes. I enter the aspen grove which has many flowers in bloom!

I'm scanning the forest for deer or moose but not seeing any. But there are a good number of butterflies (mostly Frits) flying.

At one point, I hear what sounds like a loud grunt. I look around but find only 2 people heading towards me. I pull off the trail to let them by. As soon as they pass, the guys says "There's a moose!". I turn around and sure enough there's a large male moose!

Can't believe I missed him! (He's standing not 20ft off the trail.)

A little further long, I reach a trail maintenance crew. They are re-routing the trail -- which is a good thing because now the trail is a gradual uphill all the way to Lake Solitude (and less rocky). And still lots of flowers to view. (Including a Weidenmeyer's Admiral.)

I arrive a Lake Solitude.

Many people here -- looks like a women's walking group. I pass them by, cross the foot bridge and start my way up to the ridge above Twin Lakes.

Along the way I see many Frits


as well as the wonderfully bright orange Ruddy Copper. (I see 3 of them.)

Hey, there's still a patch of snow up here!

When I reach the ridge, I head over to my favorite spot. Still snow on the mountains!

The lakes are still very full (and it's almost August - pretty amazing).

Time to head down thru tons of wildflowers (and a surprising low number of butterflies - I do add a Milbert's Tortoiseshell).

I reach the Lake; still not much of a beach.

And there's water still going over the overflow slots. In the calm waters by the overflow are tons of little fish (probably trout). I can change their direction by moving my shadow -- it's kinda fun!

Time to head down thru more flowers!!!

Nearing the bottom, I see several Blue Coppers.

And several Lilac Bordered Coppers.

Soon I reach the switchback over Silver Lake and start looking for Marmots and Pika. I only find one Pika today.

Awesome day!