Sunday, July 2, 2017

July 2 - Mormon Pioneer Trail

Heading to look for butterflies on the Mormon Trail this morning. Getting an early start as it will be pushing 100 degrees in the valley and mid-80s near Park City.

It's in the low 60s and hazy sunshine -- not particularly great for butterflies but it will clear up for the trip back.

The wooden area along the creek between the parking and actual trail is more than lush. The vegetation is high and almost covering the trail. Lots of birds singing as I make my way through.

I get the trail and its dry (as expected). Along with the sagebrush, the Lupine, Yarrow, Mullein and Salisfy (with plenty of Spittlebugs) are blooming. (Plenty of Salsify in seed as well.)

I manage to scare a deer (doe) as I enter; she heads into the woods along the creek.

The creek is now dry -- nothing flowing. I find only one butterfly, a Boisduvals Blue, on my way to the Camp (over 1 miles). I'm not shocked as it's still cool and mostly shady.

But there is plenty of nectar sources including Mallow

Rabbitbrush (I think), Clover and Dogbane (great nectar plant!).

I also find this funny looking berry.

Still lots of birds singing and flying around including this wonderful orange bird (Black headed Grosbeak).

I finally reach the Camp Meadow and start seeing some butterflies: Northern Checkerspots (the most abundant butterfly of the day) and some Frits.

I reach the pond and there's no butterfly activity in the muddy spots along the trail or the pond. But I do find Monkeyflower!

After the pond (actually after the 2 mile marker), I start seeing a lot of butterflies. Ringlets,


Western and Two tailed Swallowtail are still abundant. And there is lots of orange (of various sizes) zipping around including the already mentioned Northern Checkerspot, Mylitta Crescent,

Northern Crescent and the Frits. This is so fun!!

I think I see a Callippe Frit

and a Zerene Frit

(there may have been others as well)

I  also find Lilac Bordered Coppers


Common Checkered Skippers

Weidenmeyer's Admiral, Purplish Copper

Very old Western Tailed Blues

Clodius Parnassian

Painted Lady

And West Coast Lady

I think I'm seeing Relict Frits still but just never get a good look. With all the orange in the air today, it could be any of them.

At some point after the 2 mile mark, there's water in the creek again --- perhaps that's why there's such an abundance of butterflies.

Along the trail on the last parts reachable due to the snow melt, I find a little patch of White Columbine.

A little further down the trail (and before the 3 mile mark), there's a shrub that's attracting several species of butterflies including a "confirmed" Relict Fritillary!!!! A bit surprised to be still finding them but this is a area higher in elevation than they flew before.


The butterflies continue after the 3 mile mark - but I'm only continuing for about another 1/4 mile today -- to the last good mud puddle.

I reach the last puddle and nothing exciting. So it's time to head back.

I just past this section of mud moments earlier and there was nothing; now, 2 Relict Frits!!

I keep finding Relicts on my way back -- I lost count at 9!

Seeing  lots of flyers on the back - mostly of the orange variety. But then I see this wonderful large orange butterfly - it's a Great Spangled Frit!!

It's, in my opinion, the prettiest Frit on West (and it's one I have no trouble Id'ng). Unfortunately, I can't get a great view of it. :( But there will be more - the season is still young.

Continuing on, I find Spotted Coralroot (I think) This is a saprophyte -- a plant that uses decaying organic material for food (no chlorophyll).

I stop at one of the old still somewhat muddy ponds to check for butterflies. And there's a Great Spangled Frit - spectacular!!


I also find some new species for the day: Spring Azure, Cabbage White, and a very old Rocky Mt Duskywing... and puddling Boisduval's Blues.

As I'm heading back to the trail, I meet 2 ladies who tell me about 3 baby raccoons under a the next small footbridge. Well, that's at the pond, will need to check them out.

I reach the pond

and loop the other side of the pond - just dragonflies around.

I head back around to the foot bridge and there they are.

They are cute but they do not look to be in an ideal spot for babies as it's wet and muddy. Sure hope Mom is still around somewhere!

After the pond, the butterflies do drop in numbers (but more than when I first arrived). I manage to add a Mustard White to my list closing out an awesome day!