Saturday, July 22, 2017

July 22 - Francis Peak (Butterflying)

Heading out this morning with a local Lep group to go butterflying atop Francis Peak. Francis Peak is around 9540ft tall and is one of the obvious peaks because of the two Radar towers (big balls) on top.

The drive is up Farmington Canyon; a narrow windy dirt road with steep drop-offs. Definitely not my favorite type of road (death grip on the steering wheel) but I want to get to the top and its one of the only ways.

There are several cars in our caravan; I'm number 3 which is perfect because I concentrate only on the two cars in front me as we head up the 10+ miles and close to 4000 ft in elevation.

We make one stop before the peak to check for butterflies but they are really not flying yet (it's a little a bit before 10am). We do see Weidenmeyer's Admiral, a Western White, and a Hedgerow Hairstreak. (Haven't see one of these is quite some time!)

But all was not lost at this stop as a 3rd/4th instar Two-tailed Swallowtail caterpillar is found. This one is ready to molt.

And on the same plant, a 1st instar Two-tailed Swallowtail caterpillar is found.

We turn around after a very short walk and on the way back see what appears to be a Mormon Frit.

Time to head higher. As we continue up the road, I'm noticing more butterflies along the road but we keep heading higher up to a parking area near the top.

There's wonderful flowers (and a bit of snow) and of course, butterflies! (The view is east towards Morgan.)

And north towards the RADAR towers on Francis Peak.


I poke around the flowers near the parking ahead (just waiting for everyone to get ready) and find Blue Coppers

And a Persius Duskywing.


A male Indra Swallowtail is quickly netted and posed for photos before flying away.

The California Tortoiseshells were uncatchable today. (Nor were they stopping for photos.)

First stop was a short climb along a road to the south. Many butterflies including Callippe Frits.

and Parnassians.

The views are nice to the west.


I reach the "top" but there's still one little trail heading a bit higher thru the rocks. It's a great little walk as I see many Western Green Hairstreak. (Saw lots today everywhere I went.)

Anise Swallowtail

Small Wood Nymph, another Hedgerow Hairstreak and many Frits along that little trail.

And this Green Towhee (having his Simba moment overlooking the Salt Lake Valley).

Back down the trail but still on top, I see a Western White

and a Ringlet.

Heading back down to the parking area, I add a few more:

the California Hairstreak


and Lupine Blue.

And Anise Swallowtail caterpillar (3rd/4th instar) is located.


We group up at the parking for a caterpillar hunt to the north up around the RADAR towers. Incredible wild flowers here!!



I end up by myself heading up and make it around the towers at a saddle.

I could go higher but I don't think it'll yield any different butterflies so I head back down to the group.

Only a few left by the time I catch up with the trip leader (Todd). We have a nice talk about caterpillars and then he shows me a very tiny 1st instar Indra Swallowtail -- too hard to photo.

And the symbiotic relationship between ants and the Silvery Blue caterpillar (this caterpillar maybe an Arrowhead Blue -- too hard to tell the difference at this stage). The caterpillar secretes a sweet liquid which the ants feed on; therefore the ants protect the caterpillar from harm. Witness all the ants on the caterpillar. Pretty cool!

I get back to my car and I'm solo down the mountain -- and I survive!! (And 22 species of butterflies seen.)

Awesome day!