Sunday, March 5, 2017

March 3 - Leeds Canyon and Red Cliffs

Leaving the snowy mountain views of Northern UT for the sunny warmth of southwest UT (and perhaps some butterflies). I have company on this trip, my sister is in for a visit.

Today is supposed to be near 70 and sunny down south. This is my first trip to the St George area in 4 years and I'm returning to sites I visited on that trip - Leeds Canyon, Red Reef and Snow Canyon.

Heading south, I'm surprised so much snow still on the ground (and of course, the mountains) but it looks great! Lots of cows along the way and some sheep and horses too.

The snowy ground disappears after the I-70 exit (a couple hours+ south).

The first stop is Leeds Canyon just outside the small town of Leeds. After driving thru a fresh new subdivision that wasn't here 4 years ago, we reach Leeds Creek (the lower portion). And my 1st butterfly sighting of the year: a Milbert's Tortoiseshell (an overwintering bfly). It's just a fly-by but we stop at the creek to see if we can spot any others -- and to look at the creek too.

No luck on the butterflies so we just head up the somewhat narrow, windy, dirt road. We're only going up a few miles to a little children's garden. If we don't find bflies but then, we definitely won't find any further up the road as we are gaining elevation the entire way.

I'm searching specifically Desert Elfin; I saw them for the first time ever last time I was here - but I'd be happy with any Spring flyer.

Up, up we go. The views East towards Zion National Park are wonderful.

As are the Red Rocks we're driving by. And are the snowy peaks ahead (and where this road ultimately leads).

As we drive up, I'm not seeing any flowers so I think I'm a couple of weeks early for butterflies. But maybe I'll get lucky with a newly emerged ones.

We finally reach another bridge crossing Leeds Creek and stop for a quick walk around. No butterflies and no flowers yet.

Continuing on, we reach the Children's Garden and get out for a walk along its trail.

Many of the cactus along the trail are pretty withered. But others are standing tall and healthy or getting some new growth.
There are lots of juniper trees full of berries.

Pretty quiet out here as there are no bird sounds (or flying).

I look on the plants where I found the Desert Elfins last time but nothing is flying. I do see a couple of moths and flies.

A little further down the trail, there's a bit of excitement as both my sister and I see the shadow of a flying butterfly but neither of us could find the butterfly. :(

At one point, a flower is finally spotted.!!

We finally reach an unexpected spur trail and decide to head down it. Surprise, it leads to an old kiln.

It was built in 1885 built by Italian masons and silver miners (so says the little sign). The kiln has a 20 ft base and is 25 ft tall and produced charcoal used in the ore separation process (silver mining).

We continue back and complete the loop and head back down towards the town of Leeds.

On the way down, we get to enjoy the views towards Zion all the way down back to Leeds.

And spot a hawk soaring overhead.

Beautiful little drive.

From here, we head about 5 miles south of the town of Leeds to Red Cliffs Recreation area. After making a stop right inside the gate

We head towards the main parking so we can walk the Red Cliffs Trail. (Still looking for butterflies, we're a little lower in elevation.)

This trail heads thru the desert landscape up a little red cliff canyon. There's a creek below surrounding by Cottonwood trees.

The trail eventually leads to a small waterfall and then a water hole but for now, we're passes thru a Red Canyon with awesome views!

No too far down the trail, my sister spots the first butterfly -- a Mourning Cloak (another overwintering one)!

And then she spots an elephant head :)

A little further down the trail, she spots a White butterfly near the creek - its downhill and a bit hard to get to so I watch from the trail. I lose the White but then spot a Sulpher in the same area. It's really orange -- guessing it's an Orange Sulpher but I can't say for sure.

We continue on and soon spot a hummingbird perched in a tree.

The trail soon splits one going lower to the falls and the other heading up over the falls. We head up and I soon see another white butterfly. This one has orange wing tips!! It's an Orangetip! This is a Spring flyer. I so want to head down and track it but it's moving down the creek in the opposite direction -- probably a male on patrol of his territory. Maybe I'll see again on the way back.

Continuing on

I see a rabbit and then a squirrel on the rocks on the other side of the creek.

And then we reach the creek.

We have to hot some rocks to cross so we can get to the water hole.

There are a lot of people in the area now and the water is higher so we decide to turn around.

On the way back, I see a couple of little lizards.

And we make the detour to the waterfall.

Then continue on. In the same area we saw the butterflies previously, there are now 2 Mourning Cloaks dancing in circles in the air! I make my way down and finally catch up with one!!

We then finish the trail and finish our day!

An awesome day!