Friday, March 10, 2017

March 10 - A snowy Albion Basin (finally)

Well it's official, I've finally made my way into the mountains only 1 week shy of Spring! This is the first off-Friday that it hasn't rain or snow all winter so I need to seize the opportunity.

It's mostly cloudy but supposed to be in the 60s in the valley.

As I head up Little Cottonwood canyon, the lower portions are pretty clear especially the south facing slopes. I can peak down on the Little Cottonwood Trail, it still has snow; it's shade down there but worth starting to come after work for a quick hike.

Of course, the higher I get, the more snow is around -- I think there's a 130in base at the ski resorts, so there's a lot of snow around.

Little Cottonwood creek is dry at this point; though it may start running soon if these temps stick around.

I pass the Snowbird resort; lots of folks already skiing this morning. And head to the end of the road (and the Alta Ski resort). There's still a good number of parking at the entrance of the summer road.

It's already 49 degrees - lovely weather.

I start my way up the snow covered but groomed summer road. I'm the first one through this morning leaving my tracks on the freshly groomed snow -- I almost feel guilty.

Soon I have an option, continue on the road or head straight up the mountain on a SkiCat track. Up I go!

So pretty and quiet (except for a few chattering squirrels). There's no one around yet (except a cross country ski coming up behind me).

I reach the summer road again, cross and back up the mountain to the meet-up with the summer road again.

I see the road up to Twin Lakes Pass. I do want to get up there in the winter but I just don't have the time today so I continue up the road to the Basin.

Great view down canyon.

And all around.

Just a bit of snow up here :)


I finally start seeing skiers and try to stay out of their way.

Soon I make it to the Basin. Awesome!!

After taking it all in, I start making my way back down.

Awesome day!