Saturday, March 18, 2017

March 15 - Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook) (Millcreek Canyon)

One good thing about the time change on Monday is that the sunsets later and hiking after work can begin. :)

So I'm heading out after work today. It's in the mid-70s and sunny; can't beat that!

Since there's still a lot of snow in the mountains, I'm heading back to hike the Salt Lake Overlook (Desolation Trail); it's been several weeks perhaps the snow will be gone and Spring flowers peeking out of the ground.

The front part of the canyon is now clear of snow but it still remains the further in you get. And my trail head still has plenty of snow -- on the other side of the road, it's clear of snow and the creek is flowing swiftly.

The start of the trail is still extremely icy but I have YakTrak so life it good.

As I head up, the trail is still snow packed and icy in spots but lots of snow has melted. There is definitely more clear trail but still around 85% of the trail is under snow.

I'm looking for any sign of Spring flowers but find nothing yet.

But there are a few squirrels calling.

As I'm still heading up, I run into 2 ladies coming down. They tell me that there's a moose a couple of switchbacks up the trail. Cool! (But I still need to find him.)

Lot's of adventure on the trail today as heavy winds have knocked over several large trees. The first I can crawl under, the other I have go over (no going around because it's on a steep slow).

As I round a corner, I get a bit excited as I see a brown animal heading my direction. My first thought is "There's my moose!" but it's a really small moose ....


only a dog! (Ooops!)

He's at the next downed tree which is easy to get round. It's about here that I realize that I lost my left YakTrak --- hope I find it on my way down.


I'm up yet another switchback and no moose yet.

They said it was on the uphill side of the trail but with the people and dogs going by, he could have moved.

I'm part way down a switchback when a dog comes running toward me but he stops and looks down the hill. I look too and find that moose!!! Hard to see among the trees but he's there!

I move further down the trail hoping to get a better look but the trees only get thicker.

I have to stop because there are 4 people coming down. I mention the moose to them. They're excited. And the next thing one guy says there's a moose coming up the hill just ahead of us! The rest of us turn and sure enough a very stealthy moose has just reached the trail. (We didn't even hear him moving below.) He head off on the trail in the direction that I'm heading - this will be fun!!

At first we think there are 2 moose because the one I saw was 100+ ft behind and I didn't hear anything moving thru the trees. But then we see that dog and figure it's one moose trying to escape the dog.

I continue on following the moose; I don't see him and am being very careful.

Soon there's the final fallen tree across the trail - I go high and around following the already human made path. The moose went around the tree too as I'm still following the tracks.

Finally at the next switchback, he continues straight into the woods and I continue up the trail.

Lot's more snow up near the top!

Finally, the viewpoint is just around the corner!

Lovely view!

I continue up the trail to the top. This part of the trail is snow free as it's in full sunlight.

I do find a Spring flower. Just this one!

And see 5 grey moths. I scare them up as I walk but I could never catch up to one.

Almost to the top, I find moose/elk droppings. (Always thought they were elk but after seeing that moose today, I'm changing my mind.)

At the very top, it's snow covered and there are no signs of human or animal crossing thru the snow.

Time to head back down.

(Note: I do miss that left Yaktrak on the way down; my left foot slips several times on ice but fortunately I catch myself before taking a spill. I never do find it; just assume someone picked it up and used it to make their way down easier.)

Great day!