Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 17 - Chautauqua Meadow Trail / Flagstaff Mt (Boulder CO)

In Colorado for just a short time and heading to the Chautauqua National Historic Landmark in Boulder for a short hike and views of the Flatirons (a rock formation that is estimated to be between 290-296 million years).

But I need to get to Boulder first.

For a Friday afternoon around 2pm it's quite a zoo getting down the road to the site (road construction isn't helping the situation either). I finally get there and try the parking lot but it's packed. I exit to the road and continue to head east. There are a few roadside parking spaces but they are on the other side of the road (hopefully they'll be there if I have to turn around).

The road ends in another parking lot (part of Boulder State Park); it too is full. :(

I turn around and head out of the lot seeing 2 orange butterflies flyby . As I leave the lot, I notice that there is a side road going north that heads up the mountain. Many cars are driving up. I don't know where it goes but I just might have to find out later. In the meantime, I head back for one of those roadside spots. I get lucky and find a good spot, head up a few steps and I'm on a trail (Chautauqua Trail) with a wide open view of the meadow and the Flatirons.

Tons of people on the trails -- little ants marching in the distance. I don't have a trail map and I don't have a lot of water so this will be a short hike. I decide to head east to the mountains and the trees - big Ponderosa Pines.

When I finally reach them, the shade feels good. (It's only 70 degrees but at this altitude, the sun is really hot.) Soon I reach a cutoff for the Bluebird-Baird trail which heads up the hill. I continue straight and end up back at that full parking lot at the end of the road. Not all is lost; there's a trail map. (yea) There are many options but I decide to head back to the Bluebird-Baird trail as it holds promise of reaching the Flatirons.

This section of the Bluebird-Baird trail is definitely uphill (with many rocks on the trail) but not too bad (and the good part, there's only a few people on the trail). The landscape is still the dry short grass and Ponderosa Pine. Lots of big pine cones laying on the ground everywhere.

I get peaks of the Flatirons (all 3) occasionally through the trees.

There is plant life: Sumac trees, cactus, Oregon Grape and the surprise find -- Spring Beautys!

And a butterfly -- Hoary Comma!

I reach the Ski Lift -- still going up.

I reach another intersection and I meet the crowd. It's the final uphill stretch to the Flatiron 1 & 2. I only go a bit further

Before it's my time to turn around.

On the way down, I find a blooming Oregon Grape.

And my Hoary Comma again. Then I find Hoary Comma #2!!

I head downhill and back to my car.

Since it's only 3pm I decide to head up that road into Boulder Mt State Park.

The road is windy with some hair pins curves. But the view down to Boulder a pretty nice!

I finally reach my turn around point - Realization Point and find some parking. From here, it's 1/2 mile hike Flagstaff Peak (6850 ft).

There's actually a road that goes to the top but it's closed (still too early in the season). I was going to walk the road but some locals inform me there's a trail up through the meadow so I take it. (They say the trail is more scenic)

Similar landscape as my prior hike. Find more Spring Beauty and non-blooming Oregon Grapes.

I finally reach an intersection. I take a left turn and the trail flattens. It eventually dead ends at an awesome viewpoint of the Ute  Range!

I head back to take the other trail. I head up to the top and Artist Point. The view of the Ute Range from here is a bit blocked by the large Ponderosa Pines weren't in the way. Glad I took that side trail.

On the way down, I decide to take the road - new scenery. I head down to the Nature Center which is of course closed. A little herd of deer is grazing near it - probably 10 animals. The one on top is ready for dinner.

And the rest are below.

I continue down the road and the views are really nice. Even views of the Flatirons!

Great day!