Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Nov 26 - Antelope Island Safari

Heading out to Antelope Island to hike Sentry Peak today. Its a partly sunny day with temps in the 60s but only in the 50s when I take off around 9am.

When I arrive on the island, it's in the 40s and mostly cloudy. (Where did my sun go?!)

I head south towards the Ranch. Last week when I was here, there were hundreds of bison on the east side of the island. Curious to see if they are still around. Also saw a very large herd of Pronghorn; will they still be around?

As I head down from the first pull-off towards the water bin, I see a single bison just off the road to the west. On the other side of the road, I see the many little heads of Pronghorn lying in the grasses. There are a few Pronghorn standing keeping watch. (Especially on the folks that are running nearby on the trail.)

I stop and get out the car to cross the street for a better view. The bison, who is not far away, takes a good look at me and then continues to feed.

Must be at least 20 Pronghorn down there.

Back to my car, I continue past the bison stopping to listen to him eat.

And the continue on past Frary Peak, past the Frary Homestead and then, finally, I see a coyote down near the lake bed. As I watch, I notice something a little farther out on the lake bed. It's another coyote!! Nope, it's a pair of coyote!!

That's 3 of them all in the same area!! So cool! I roll up the road a bit to catch up with the lone coyote who is heading south.

I watch for a bit before continuing on.

As I continue down to the Ranch, I remember I forgot my hikers and a sandwich --- so much for the hike. Oops! Guess it'll be just a safari today. :)

I reach the Ranch having seen only one bison (unbelievable - least I've seen in 5 years). My plan is to head down the dirt road past the Sentry Peak trail head but the road is now closed for the season (or maybe because it's really muddy) so I pull into the Ranch parking lot. Since I haven't see the Great Horned Owl in over a year (since the tornado hit the island blowing the roof off the barn and
making the wooded area where the Owls hang out too dangerous to walk). Let's find out if the area is open. Yea, it is!!

I head thru the wood scaring up lots of birds as I walk around head up looking for the Owls. Many Spotted Towhee flying and a Flicker and other birds. I also find lots of deer scat on the ground but no deer.

And there, I see the Great Horned Owl!!!!

Can't find the mate today but I'm sure she's around .... somewhere.

Back to my car I drive back north. The coyote I can no longer find.

But I do spot my first Porcupine of the season!!

The Pronghorn, well, most of them are up and moving around now.

The lone bison has move farther from the road but is still across the street from the Pronghorn.

And I find a second bison behind some sagebrush -- very hard to see -- but it's #2!

I head over to the west side of the island thinking there might be some bison around Bison Point or White Rock but there are no bison. (They are sure hiding today.)

Driving over to the beach area, I see 3 deer (doe) feeding not far from the road. And a little further along, I stop for 5 deer (also doe) crossing the road

and then entering the sagebrush. Very cool!

When I reach the causeway again, water on Farmington Bay is a mirror. It's wonderful!!!

Awesome day -- always great to see the Island's "Big 4" (Bison, Deer, Pronghorn and Coyote) and the Porcupine too!!