Sunday, November 19, 2017

Nov 19 - Twin Lakes (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Beautiful sunny morning but temps are only in the mid-20s. Heading up into the mountains to check out the 7-12 inches of snow from Friday. My plan is to hike to Twin Lakes for the last time this season -- it's part of a ski resort which will be opening in the next few weeks. Hoping many folks went up on Saturday to beat down a path thru the snow which will make my trek much easier.

Head out just after 9am -- just trying to let the sun warm things up a bit.

Heading up Big Cottonwood is pretty awesome! Snow on both the north and south facing rocky slopes, layered on the pines, on the rocks in the streams, ... unbelievable! It's so nice to see after a long hot summer.

I arrive at Silver Lake - only in the low 20s but sunny! I walk into the meadow to wonderful views!!

I love coming earlier before the hoar frost melt as it layer crystals on the still standing plants and shrubs.

And it forms little flakes on the top layer of snow.

I work my walk along the packed snow path to the bridge and around the snow/ice covered lake

o the trail to Twin Lakes which is happily packed down as well. I start up the trail thru the naked aspens and the still snow-covered pines.

Well, I'm not the only one loving the packed snow; lots of deer tracks along the path as well. (Always take the path of least resistance.)

I reach the ledge over Silver Lake. Not going to be seeing Pika today as the rocks are all snow-covered.

I start across enjoying the snowy scenery.

Once across, it's time for the climb to Twin Lakes.

Along the way, I see one deer (a doe) walking then bouncing thru the forest.

Always an incredible walk thru the snow.

Almost there!


Finally, the dam is in sight


The view down isn't so bad either!


I worked make way up and to the other side. Crazy beautiful!!!

After resting on the un-snowy edge of a snow-covered rock, I head down thru the powder to get a clean view of the mountains.


I then make my way back to the rock and bask in the snow for a bit. There are a few skiers having fun on the slopes across the lake.

Soon its time to start heading down.

Meet 6 people (3 groups of 2) on my way down. When I reach Silver Lake again, I complete the loop around Silver Lake. Stopping first at the dock.

And then again on the shady side of the lake.

Awesome day! (Keep bringing the snow!!)