Saturday, June 10, 2017

June 9 - Lambs Canyon

Heading up to hike Lambs Canyon after work today. Its sunny, mid-80s and very windy. It's a dust bowl in the valley!

Lots of people out this afternoon as the small parking area is full ... except one conveniently open spot which has just become occupied with my car.

Before I head up the trail, I take a look at the mud puddle next to the parking area. Pretty small puddle for mid-June. In fact, the trickle of water than usually crosses the road about 100 ft down the road isn't even there. We need some rain!

I check out the puddle and there are only a couple of butterflies - Western Tailed Blues, a Rocky Mt Duskywing and a very old Dreamy Duskywing.

I cross the foot bridge over the creek -- still moving at a pretty good clip.

I start up the 1.75 mile (1500ft) trail. (It ends at 8100 ft). I'm hoping the trail folks have been here to clear up all the fallen trees....I'll soon find out.

Lots of green vegetation along the trail. The Virgin Bower's Vine, Bluebells and Strawberries (present all the way up the trail) are in bloom as is the Geranium

Baneberry (or Doll's Eyes).

Very quickly I find out that the trail folks have been here and have removed the fallen trees from the trail (yea!)

I'm not seeing a whole a lot of butterflies (hopefully not an omen for this season) - Western Tailed Blues and a few Rocky Mountain Duskywings are puddling or just flying. (There are plenty of Blues flying.)

I do see my first Mylitta Crescent of the season.

And a single Northern Crescent.

Plenty of Two-tailed and Western Swallowtail flying especially up-n-down the valley.

When the trail moves up a switchback and away from the stream, I look down into the valley and find a moose!!! (Of all the times I've walked this trail, this is the 2nd moose I've seen here.)

It's a "he" -- little velvet antlers. He's looking up in my direction. I enjoy the moment and quickly continue up the trail.

As I move on, I see a white butterfly. It's large .... it's a Clodius Parnassian. Such a beautiful butterfly.


I see a woodpecker but he's hiding on the other side of the tree.

As I move higher in elevation, I start seeing Waterleaf  and blooming Heartleafed Arnica.

Lots of Woodland Star and Blue Violets are also out.

At one point I'm tracking this brown butterfly (or moth). I see it land but can't find it but I snap a photo anyway - I can find him in the photo.

Even further along the trail, I see a few Satyr and Hoary Comma.

Very pretty day!

I reach my turnaround point a couple weeks ago. The tangled web of tree trunks and branches are now just sawdust and new places to rest. :)

Just up the trail were more downed trees -- what a mess!

Still lots of Blues flying but at this altitude, they are Spring Azures.

I reach the last two switchbacks. This area was under snow not too long ago and for proof I'm seeing the "early" Spring bloomers - Spring Beauty. Lots of Spring Beauty. Also seeing "young" Waterleaf and tons of White Violets.

Well, I'm on the final long switchback and the trail crews have not been this far yet. There's one tree to step over,

one to stoop low under and one duo deadfall to climb over (this was the tricky). But after that, it's clear sailing to the top. :)

A few hundred feet from the top, I do  some snow off the trail in the brush. I also see an Orangetip.

I chat with 3 ladies coming down to tell them about the moose; they ask if I saw the snake. (Guess I missed a snake.)

I step out of the woods and almost get blown over by the wind (wasn't expecting it). Boy is it windy!! And view down into the Valley ... well, it's dusty one!

But I do have a good view of some still snowy mountains.

The only flower blooming up here are Larkspur.

Time to head down.

On the way down, I do see that snake. It slithers across the trail into some logs. It's not a rattlesnake, that's all I care about.

I try to find the moose but he's moved on (as I expected).

And on the final section along the creek, I find a female Orangetip.


Oh, and I missed the Columbine on the way up! Oops!