Saturday, June 24, 2017

June 22 - Willow Lake and Silver Lake (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

After temperatures near (or over) 100 degrees for the past few days, we've cooled off to just near 90 degrees today so it's time for an after work.

Heading up to Willow Lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon -- last time I was here there was still snow on the far side of the lake.

Big Cottonwood creek is still flowing fast and high but it has tamed a bit since I was last here.

I reach the trail head and it's sunny and 75 degrees - perfect!

Definitely more flowers in bloom; in addition to Bluebells and Geraniums, the Tall Jacobs Ladder is beginning to flowers.

Seeing all 3 Swallowtails along the way (Western, Two-tailed and Pale)

As I reach the short flat section between the first uphill and the steeper uphill, I see a male moose about 15 feet off the trail to the left.

That's a little close for comfort. I stop and we look at each other. Then a couple of 5-6 year old girls come down the steep section laughing making noise. Thankfully, they see the moose and stop. The moose looks at them which gives me time to cross in front of him. The moose kinda looks confused by the still giggling girls - I'm sure he left in a hurry. Thinking their parents were seconds away, I told the girls to stay put and wait (don't go near the moose). As I continue up, there are just more little girls heading down - all of which I told to stay put with the rest. I'm feeling a bit guilty now for leaving them but soon finally pass a Mom and then a Dad.

I finish the climb and the section thru the aspen before reaching the meadow. I hear the sounds of the ground squirrels but they are still hard to locate. But I finally find one.

The pond is much lower now and no frogs calling. I do find a few Western Tailed Blues puddling on its shores.

Also seeing Milbert's Tortoiseshells (the most abundant bfly of the day).

I head over to the lake and find two mallards (male and female) sleeping on a rock on the other side of the lake.

It's quiet here as well. No dragonflies out yet.

I head around the left side of the lake. The creek is still high but someone has placed 3 logs across for a "dry" crossing. In the mud around the creek I find more Western Tailed Blues and Rocky Mountain Duskywing.

On the other side, there are tons and tons of Bluebells in bloom!

The willows (I think) are also in bloom and on one is a Checkered White.

As I walk down the side of the lake

I find a few Northern Cloudywing in the muddy areas.

And the sleeping Mallards.

I'm finding a good number of buttercups in bloom too!

I head into the woods. From experience, I'm expecting a muddy section and I'm not disappointed. But the trail is mostly dirt. Lots of Bluebells in here too and the Swallowtails are sure enjoying them.

I'm keeping watch for moose but instead find a deer (doe). We stare at each other for seconds before she bounces off -- heading in the direction I'm traveling.

We meet yet again; this time she bounces off in the opposite direction.

I complete the loop and find a good rock near the pond for dinner before heading down.

On the way down,

I find a couple of Paintbrush.

And no moose.

Back to my car, I head up the road a few miles to Silver Lake and walk around the lake. The trail is totally clear the entire way but there's still snow in the mountains.

I cross the footbridge and see hundreds of trout circling. Not sure if they're spawning but it's pretty cool to watch.

A bit further, I hear a strange noise, I look and find a very large snowshoe hare next to the trail. (I didn't know they could make such a noise.) Unfortunately, some folks came from the other direction and the hare hopped across the trail into the vegetation.

Continuing around

On the far side, I find the Shooting Star in bloom.

And I find a Columbine in bloom.

Great day!