Friday, June 2, 2017

June 2 - Elephant Rock

Sunny day with highs near 80 degrees expected today. I debate over 4 hiking options and settled on a hike up to Elephant Rock near Bountiful. I usually do this hike in early May so it'll be a little different seeing it all green'd up.

The trail itself is around 3.5 miles (one-way) with around 1000 ft in elevation change - majority of that in the 1st mile on the switchback. Mostly forested with dappled sun (especially now since there's leaves on the tree) but there are some up (and dry) spots. The trail just follows the in-n-out curves of the landscape. The elevation at the start of the trail is around 5200ft.

A good number of cars already here when I arrive around 9:15. The little stream is definitely has some flow to it.  The trail starts by crossing a bridge over that stream.

And then proceeds up through the forest on four switchbacks. Wonderful flowers on the way up including Woodstar, this flowering bush

and some Wild Onion/Garlic.

I see a male Orangetip along the switchbacks.

I complete the switchback with this "sunny" view of my destination ahead (somewhere).

Lots of Balsamroot flowering in the sunnier/drier sections of the trail. And in a few spots, some Lupine.

Seeing the Swallowtail trio flying this morning (Western, 2-tailed and Pale) but nothing else.

Lots of birds singing this morning. I can pick out the Robins and Chickadees but there are many more.

I follow along the trail for quite a while before seeing a very beaten/battered Western Tailed Blue. From then on, I start seeing more Blues (both Spring Azures and Western Tailed Blue)

And Rocky Mountain Duskywings.

The trail crosses several stream -- there's mud but no butterflies.

I find this one seed head that I think looks pretty still drenched in last nights rain.

The last 1/4 mile of the trail is a damp forest (it's the last portion of the trail to melt) -- the Heart-leafed Arnica still have not bloomed yet (and there are plenty of them). I do find a few Solomon's Seal in bloom.

I soon reach the destination over Elephant Rock - lovely view down into the valley with Antelope Island in the distance.

I enjoy the view for a bit before heading down.

I do find one mud puddle with a bunch of Spring Azures puddling.

And further down, a female Orangetip.

I see a couple of Dragonflies today but I get a good look at an Eight-spot Skimmer (female).

Good day!