Sunday, December 24, 2017

Dec 24 - Gravel Pit Trail to Beacon Hill (Antelope Island)

Finally got some snow yesterday - big flakes in the valley (too warm to stick) and 16 inches in the mountains with more coming tonight! Perhaps the tides are turning and the snow is finally arriving!

Heading up to Antelope Island today - mountains will be crazy with powder seeking skiers today. It's supposed to be partly sunny with highs in the mid-30s and then clouding up by noon as the next storm starts to arrive.

As I head north, I think the weathermen are  wrong yet again as it's cloudy already. There's blue sky to the north but the clouds are building that way. Oh well!

As I cross the causeway, I see no shorebirds or sea gulls and only a few Coots in the open water.

I arrive and head down towards the Ranch. It isn't until after passing Frary Peak before I start seeing a few animals; I see a porcupine in the trees and hey, there's a coyote trotting north along the edge of the lake shore!!

And of course, several herd of bison. Some near the mountains,

some not far from the road and there's the big herd just past the Ranch in front of Sentry Peak.

I think about hiking the Sentry Trail but without sun and with the temperature at 22 degrees, I decide to try a new trail for me (and a shorter one): The Gravel Pit Trail to Beacon Hill. The trail head is just off the main road north of Frary Peak. It's 1.8 miles before it hits the White Rock Trail (which I walk a lot) and then follows the White Rock Trail for about 1/4 mile before taking a left turn up to Beacon Hill. I've passed Beacon Hill numerous time and today will be the first time I actually go up.

When I reach the Ranch, I turn around and head north passing those 2 herds of bison. But now it's time to checkout a few of these Porcupine as they are not far from the road. I pull off first for two Porcupine in the same tree. Both are sleeping.

Back in the car I head a little further north when I see yet another Porcupine to check out. He's sleeping as well but I get a good look at his face.

(I see 6 Porcupine today!)

Soon I arrive at my trail turn off and then the parking lot. And off I go into the 22 degree landscape.

I don't have to walk far before I realize why the trail is called the Gravel Pit.

I get over the ridge and hey, there's the corrals! I wasn't expecting them to be so near!

Such a totally different perspective from the White Rock Trail which the corrals are visible but they far in the distance.

Soon I come across 7 bison. They are far enough from the trail so I can pass safely. I hope they are still there when I come back.

All along the trail, I'm seeing coyote tracks and scat, ascat from deer or antelope and Chukkar tracks.

I soon reach the White Rock trail - almost there!

I reach the turn off and head up Beacon Hill.

Soon I see the tower and as I near, I see a flock of Chukkars quickly moving through the grasses. Just heads bobbing above the grasses. Boy are they stealthy! Not a sound, scattering in multiple directions and poof they're gone!! Amazing!

I head past the tower to the picnic tables/viewpoint. Not a bad view to southeast

and east across the bay!!!

I take a brief rest before starting back.

On the way back, I see an animal crossing through the grasses ahead of me -- it's a coyote!!!

(Plenty of coyote sign along the trail -- happy to see one!)

I'm coming upon those bison and shoot, two of them are close to the trail!

Time for some "off roading" to get around the bison. They are watching me and I them but I get safely around and work my way back to the trail! I stop to look back and see two of the bison butting heads


but they make up and are best friends again!

Nice little trail!

Back in my car, I continue my way up the island and a quick loop of the west side of the island seeing only one bison along the way.

To end a wonderful day, I spot a Kestrel along the causeway!!

Good day!