Friday, December 15, 2017

Dec 15 - Days Fork (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Sunny day predicted with temps in the low 40s. The inversion is still in place but at least the heavy fog/smog is gone. I need to get up to some fresh clean air so heading up into the mountains today. After much internal debate, I'm heading up the Days Fork Trail - don't think I've been here in the winter (at least in couple of years).

As I'm heading up the canyon, it's pretty amazing that it's mid-Dec and the south facing slopes are snow-less. (Crazy!) That needs to change and fast!!

I arrive at the parking for Days Fork (about mid-canyon around 7400 ft). It's sunny but it'll be a shady hike for the most part as the trail follows a narrow canyon to the meadow. So it's time to bundle up as it's only in the 20s.

The entire trail goes for 3 miles to Silver Fork Pass but I'm only heading to the meadow which is around 1.5 miles (one-way) and 850 ft (8200 ft). Much of that elevation is within the first 1/4 mile.

As I start, the trail is snow covered and packed (from the snowshoers, cross-country skiers). There's less than 6 inches of snow on the ground as it heads through a Spruce (conifer) forest. I head up that big hill and soon reach the top. The trail now continues to climb but more gradually. 

I weave through the forest and some small meadows. Lots of canine tracks on the trail, in fact I follow them most of the way to the meadow. I'm assuming coyote as dogs are not allowed in the canyon.

About 1/2 way I start getting some peeks of sun. (yea!)

And soon, I reach the meadow and total sunshine - boy does it feel good!

(This is a typical winter turnaround point when there's a lot of snow (unlike today) as there are several avalanche chutes if ones through the meadow and onward. No worries today but it's still my turnaround point.) 

As I enter, I pass many, many down trees (avalanche path)

and then a good sized grove of aspens. I scan for animals on the slopes and the meadow but seeing nothing but deer tracks.

I continue along the trail as it starts a small climb out of the aspens - just looking for a better view.

I stop before the trail starts heading out of the meadow and stand there enjoying the sunshine, the clean air and the unbelievable silence. Total silence - so precious!! 

Time to start heading down.

Great day!