Friday, February 17, 2017

Feb 17 - Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook (Millcreek Canyon)

It's not a sunny day but it's in the mid-50s and I want to hike today so I head out to Millcreek Canyon to hike the Desolation Trail (and hope I don't get rained on as it's forecast later this afternoon).

I'm thinking with all the warm weather we've been having will be mostly clear of snow. Maybe that's wishful thinking ....

At the mouth of the canyon, it's snow free but as I travel up the canyon, only the south side is clear. Looks like it'll be a snowy 1.75 miles (1200ft) to the overlook today.

When I arrive at the parking, it's only 43 degrees and icy. Thankfully I have my YakTrak still in my car from last winter. I throw them on and start of the trail.

Glad I have the extra traction because there's particularly icy spot near the start that a father and son slip slide their way down (unfortunately, they want to go up the trail).

The trail is snow packed and icy in spots. The landscape around the trail - snow covered (and I was so hoping to find some Glacier Lilies just popping up....not happening today).

As I make my way up the trail, I manage to scare some squirrels along the way.

I do find a lot of Douglas Fir cones along the trail. The squirrels have definitely been feasting on them all winter.

And a few Fir cones too.



I also find one large hoof print. Not sure if it's a deer or elk.


And despite the gray day, the views are pretty good!


As I finally reach the overlook and a view of Grandeur Peak,

the sky starts "spitting" snow flakes. (Hey, it's better than rain.) I quickly make my way over to the viewpoint. (The rain is definitely on its way.)



I don't stay long -- it's a bit cold up here --- and I start my way down.

On the way down, I meet up with one of those squirrels and he's chowing on a pine cone.

It's great to get out onto some new trails this season.