Sunday, February 12, 2017

Feb 12 - Whiterock Trail (Antelope Island)

Heading up to Antelope Island today to hike the Whiterock Trail. Today is supposed to be sunny, clear skies and in the lower 40s - perfect day. (Probably perfect in the mountains too but I still can't talk myself into dealing with all the ski traffic in the canyons - especially since we got 16inches of snow Friday night into Saturday.)

I arrive on the island and it's only 33 degrees. Although the temperatures were below freezing last night, continued above normal temp has caused even more ice to melt especially farther away from the island.

The sea gulls are coming back to the island.

As I cross, a Bald Eagle flies over the causeway just ahead of my car.

I also see a Kestrel flying and searching for breakfast.

I arrive on the island and head south towards the Ranch.

I slow down I see a couple of guys pulled off with spotting scopes looking west up the slopes. I can't see anything -- it's on the driver's side -- so I continue on.

I don't see my first animals until I reach the area where the hay bales were put out. I barely see them - a couple of bison among the sagebrush. They are the only animals when I reach the Ranch.

In the distance still around the Sentry Trail, I see a couple more bison (probably the same guys I ran into on Wednesday).

I turn around and head back up the island.

On the way, I find a pretty good sized herd of bison against the mountains.

Those guys with spotting scope are still looking up the slopes. I slow down again and get a quick glimpse of a herd of deer. When I spot, I'm already past and can't see them so I continue over to the west side of the island and the Whiterock trail.

As I head over, there is a small herd of bison outside of the park headquarters and 4 bison under Bison Point.

It's 33 degrees now as I start off own my hike. It's a beautiful morning. There's still a light frost on the ground in spots. Lots of green  vegetation peaking up from the ground. I know it's still early but I'm hoping there are a few overachievers that are already blooming.

As I climb higher, I see many bison scattered around the bison pens. I believe those are probably the Mom and calves that were kept penned up since Fall in an attempt to get the females back in sync with the rest of the breeding herd (and help getting the young calves thru the winter). Since the snow is now gone, time to release the beasts.

I continue around enjoying the views.

When I turn I'm surprised to see about 6 bison lying not far from the road. The one stands up but never looking in my direction.

I walk right by.

Many birds flying around this morning including this Horned Lark (all puffed out to keep warm).

I finish the climb and I'm on the final stretch to Whiterock Valley when I spot 3 more bison lying down in the distance.

I reach the valley.



There are a few bison in the valley.


And proceed to the ridge. Wonderful day!

I make my way down to the inner trail and make my way following the curves of the hills to the other side above the water.

To the south at the end of the Salt Lake, I spot a couple more bison.

I make my way back down and back to my car.

I head over to the Visitor's Center for a quick spot before heading home.

As I head out of the Visitor's Center, I spot either a deer or pronghorn to the south. I head a bit south and find a lone Pronghorn. Lovely find to end my day!

Time to head home!

Great day!