Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Aug 1 - Snake Creek Pass (Big Cottonwood Canyon)

Sunny morning with temperatures nearing 100 degrees in the valley today. I'm heading up into the high elevations to "beat the heat" - at least in the morning.

Exploring a new trail today; it's called Snake Creek Pass and it part of the Brighton Ski area. The hike is 2 miles (one-way) with a gain of 1310 ft to an ending elevation of 10,040 ft.

Lovely morning when I arrive at the parking lot just after 8 am this morning; a wonderful temperature in the high 50s and sunny.

The trail starts uphill right from the start as it climbs one of the ski runs. The trail is in dappled sunlight at this point so all the wonderful flowers (lupine, geraniums, horsemint, fleabane, paintbrush, fireweed, etc) are mostly in the shade or in the glare of the rising sun.

The ground squirrels are very busy this morning as are the hummingbirds (not as many as I saw in the Albion Basin yesterday).

There are even a few butterflies out already - Frits and Painted Ladies.

It's been quite a while since I've been on this trail; today makes me wonder why - so many flowers!!

After 3/4 mile and 600 ft of gain, I reach the Dog Lake turn-off - which is the direction I'm supposed to go. However, it's been a while since I've been on this trail so I have to keep going another 1/4 mile to Lake Mary (9520ft). This part is a bit more in the sun and rocky with water still running down (and along side of) the trail.

But when I complete the climb ... Lake Mary looks awesome!

There's only a couple of people of people here - a few near the dam fishing and another lady. It's so perfect! Plenty of ground squirrels around though.

I make my way to the far side and take a break on a large boulder.

There's little fish near the shore -- after 2 years of working on the dam (no water), I'd bet there aren't many fish that are bigger.

Time to head back down and over to Dog Lake to look for moose. See several butterflies and hummers on the way back to Dog Lake.


The trail to Dog Lake is full of lupine - amazing!

I reach the lake - more of a marshy pond than a lake - but no moose. :(

I head back and before reaching the main trail, I take a right on a trail heading east towards Clayton Peak (and Snake Creek Pass). At this point, I have another 1.25 miles and 700 ft to go!

The trail passes thru a wonderful little meadow filled with mostly yellow flowers

And then heads into the woods.

The trail looks pretty flat and easy walking but I am gaining elevation. I find more lupine in the woods - but not blooming yet.

And a few Heart-leafed Arnica.

From here, the trail winds thru meadows and woods all the way to the Pass passing under both the Majestic and Snake Creek Lifts.

In one area, I see three large patches of snow! Both patches are in the same point in the trail with one on the uphill and the other on the downhill side of the trail.

At one point, I see a deer (doe) down the slope from me but it runs off.

And I see a Marmot on a rock.

I know I'm getting close as I see a road below me that my instructions say I will follow to the top. And that's confirm by 4 guys heading down; they say I'm only a couple hundred yards away - and it's all uphill thru the woods.

I pop out of the woods and boy, what a view!!!

I can see Mt Timpanogos to the south.

And the Heber Valley and the Uintas Mountains to the east.

There's also so many flowers!!! With many butterflies flying!!

I see California Tortoiseshell

Painted Ladies, Callippe Frits


Other Frits (I think these are Mormon Frit - male/female).

And I can't forget the little Chipmunk!

This is so fun!

I decide to continue up the trail to the lift at 10,185 ft.

Along the way I see a White flying (Checkered, Western, Mustard - I have no idea), more Frits, and Persius Duskywing.

Just before I reach the lift, I see a Chryxus Arctic -- what a cool find!!!

And the view down towards Brighton are great! (With a little zoom action, I can see Lake Mary!)

I wander around the lift for a bit and then head back to the Pass.

When I arrive, I check out the butterflies again -- Hoary Comma are out now.

And then find a rock in the middle of all the flowers for a snack. Definitely, one of the best spots in the Wasatch Mts!!!

Time to head back down.

When I arrive near Dog Lake, I have a fascinating butterfly experience. I see a Blue and it lands on a Lupine. It crawls to the very bottom on the plant where it stays for quite some time. I assume it's laying eggs.



I thought it was a Northern Blue but according to range maps that's not possible. So it has to be a Melissa Blue - looks much different than the Melissa Blues I've seen. A lepidopterist friend of mine says its a Melissa Blue - species annetta or Plebejus Melissa annetta. And there are some in the field that believe it to be a Northern Blue - more research required I guess. But it's very cool!!

On the rest of the way down, I see Ruddy Coppers.

Awesome day!