Friday, August 18, 2017

Aug 17 - Lake Solitude - Twin Lakes Loop

Heading out after work to hike to the Lake Solitude / Twin Lakes Loop. Sunny day and we're back near 90s (after 2 wonderfully cool (low/mid 80s) days).

When I arrive, there are some storms trying to get brewing but thankfully, they are to the east; but it's still partly cloudy.

As I head around Silver Lake, the meadow is tall and turn yellow - Fall is on it's way in the mountains.

Lots of dragonflies zipping around the lake.

I head up to Lake Solitude thru the now fading flowers. Mostly Asters now but there are some good spots with Paintbrush, Lupine, and Horsemint (and other flowers too).

The Thimbleberries are almost ready too!

I'm see a few Frits and Paintbrush flying.

When I arrive at the rock slide, there's a Marmot sitting on the rocks (only my 2nd sighting of the year).

I reach Silver Lake.

There's a male Mallard on the lake.

I make my way down the side of the lake to the road (aka trail). Before I reach it, I see a few Ruddy Coppers - males and females.

And a Frits.

(Pretty productive spot!!)

As I make my way up and up above Lake Solitude.

I see a few more Ruddy Coppers and Frits.

Half way up, I see a Stellar Jay.

Still climbing.  hey, they've put a picnic table along the trail! (Have to work hard to use that table.)

I reach the ridge over Twin Lakes

And then head to my perch for dinner.

Then it's time to head down. As I come down, I see a brown flyer in among the Asters. I have to stop to see what it is --- it's a moth.

I see Painted Ladies and Blue Coppers

And guess what, more Frits on the way down.

Lots of flowers still blooming in certain areas (other areas are fading).

And a chubby cheeked chipmunk - definitely getting ready for winter.

I reach the dam -- lake is still full and there's still no beach. But the water is no longer flowing thru the overflow chutes. And the baby fish are still near the overflow. Tons of them -- I think the number is increasing. What will they do as the lake continues to drop?!

I head down thru the flowers and soon I'm standing over Silver Lake.

Checking for Marmots and Pika on the rocks. I hear and spot 2 Pika.

But still no Marmots. There were quite a few out here last year -- maybe after a normal 600 inches of snow after two poor years knocked their numbers down a lot. :(

On the way back to Silver Lake, I see chipmunks, squirrels and a Snowshoe Hare!

And when I'm almost at the lake, there's a female deer crossing the trail. She gives me a good look while standing in the middle of the trail before crossing into the forest. I continue a step when a fawn (still will spots) starts to cross.

She sees me and quickly bounces across followed closely by fawn #2. Fun!

Great day!