Saturday, January 21, 2017

Jan 20 - Antelope Island

Heading out to Antelope Island after work today -- it's supposed to rain/snow all week-end, I've got to head up when I can.

It's mostly sunny in Salt Lake in the mid-30s but as I arrive on the causeway, Antelope Island is in a fog bank. :( Hopefully, it'll clear.

Just past the gate, I see a large hawk near the tall grasses. I stop, roll down my window, and of course, it flies. But it lands on a nearby road sign. I roll ahead for a better view before it flies again.

Not much to see as I drive across the causeway -- except a couple of Kestrels flying and lots of white snow and heavy fog. As I get near the bridge (and open water), the fog starts to lift just a bit.

The duck population is a little higher than my last trip but far below a couple of weeks ago. In the distance, I see a larger dark spot on the ice - yep, it's a Bald Eagle sitting on the ice!

I pass the marina and for the first time in about 4 weeks, no Bald Eagle. :(

I reach the island and head south towards the Ranch. They've had snow here this morning/last night -- it's covering the road in spots.

Other than a Shrike, I don't see any animals until after Frary Peak. And the animals are bison. Near the mountains, close to the road, and near the lake bed all along the road. Most are laying down - just large brown bumps on the ground.

I pass the Frary Homestead, more bison but I can't find the pronghorn. I drive a bit farther to where the bison hung out this summer/where the pronghorn were earlier this winter and there are lots of bison down by the lake bed.

I keep looking for pronghorn within the bison herd and finally, I see movement. Pronghorn!!

And I see a few more in the sagebrush. Very exciting!

I continue on to the Ranch seeing one addition Pronghorn running on the mountain side of the road.

When I reach the Ranch, I start my walk heading down the road towards Sentry Peak.

Just a couple of inches of fresh snow. The only tracks I see along the road are coyote. I'm looking for one but no luck. No luck on deer or hawks either.

The sun is peeking out by the time I reach the trail head and I start heading to Mushroom Springs. There's more snow on this trail; a good 4-5 inches which is making for some slow going. I get 1/2 way to Mushroom Springs -- there's blue sky peaking out over Sentry Peak --

but I decide I turn around -- just not feeling a 6 mile hike thru the snow. I head back to my car. (The sun is now out - perfect blue skies to the north. I think I'll hike up Bison Point.)

Before I leave, I head back up the road, I go to check on the Great Horned Owls but the area is still gated. (I think the Owls will have a peaceful winter unbothered by pesky humans.)

I hop in my car and turn onto the main road. I look right and I have 4 pronghorn staring at me!

I think they were heading for the road and I interrupted their progress. We are in a stand-off for a few minutes before they turn and start heading back east. And I north along the road.

When I reach the bison along the lake bed, I find more Pronghorn.

About 75 yards further north, I see deer! They too are hanging out with the bison today!

Pretty cool stuff - one herd of bison with deer and pronghorn feeding with them. (3 for 1 viewing!!)

I continue on still looking for a coyote.

And then a large dark spot on the ice catches my eye. I find my coyote! He's just laying on the ice.

I continue on. By the time I pass Frary Peak, the north end of the island is in a heavy fog bank again.

But along the way, I do see 3 Chukkars crossing the road.

I head over to the west side and up Bison Point but I can't see anything. So no hike today.

I head back to the causeway. The fog is a bit lighter at the causeway. I start across but stop at the open water. There's a Bald Eagle out there with a couple of ravens/crows.

That eagle definitely has a duck (or bird). I can see him pulling at it. The crows/ravens are also interested in the catch.


Further to the east are two more Bald Eagles. With the crows/ravens around I suspect that they've had a kill as well.


I start to cross the bridge when I see a Peregrine Falcon (I think) on a light pole. He appears to be spying on the Bald Eagles meals.


After crossing the bridge, there's yet another Bald Eagle with a fresh kill - he's definitely eating it. Even his "companions" are sneaking some morsels.


Four Eagles today, I certainly can't complain. I'm half wondering if the reduction in duck numbers is due to the Eagles. Perhaps they got smart and moved on or ...... Hmmmm....

He greeted me on the way in and he also says good-bye.


Awesome day!