Sunday, January 1, 2017

Jan 1 - Jackrabbits and Coyotes running wild on Antelope Island!

Happy New Year!

The morning of this new year looks exactly as it did yesterday, foggy, smoggy and cloudy. But the temperature is already in the low 20s (that was yesterday's high) so it is a positive. Heading for the 30s if the sun burns thru the gunk.

I think about heading for the mountains today but figure it will be crowded so just decided to head for Antelope Island to see what's moving around this morning.

As I cross the causeway, the visibility is low as expected.

There's a light layer of snow on the vegetation and road and falling from the sky. According to the weatherman last night, this is not considered snow; it's just frozen ice crystals falling from the fog. Still looks and falls like snow.

The ducks are huddled up against the edge of the ice with only a few free swimmers.

I check for the Bald Eagle in the marina I saw there on Thursday. And surprise, he's still there! Can't say it's same individual but it's Bald Eagle!

As I arrive on the island, I decide to change it up this morning and head west around the north side of the Visitor's Center. There are no animals to be seen on the north side of the island but I can see a group of bison in the distance as I start heading south towards Bison Point.

As I reach the beach, I see a Magpie perched on a snow covered sagebrush. Wouldn't normally take a picture of a Magpie (noisy, pesky bird) but I have to admit, he looks pretty this morning.


I continue on with sagebrush on my left and the beach on my right. Coming out of the sagebrush down to the road is a Jackrabbit!

I've seen them before occasionally but this is the first time I get a really good look at one.

I complete the loop  - there is a small herd of bison on the east side of the Visitor's Center - and then head south to the Ranch.

Before I reach the fenceline, I see 2 animals running down along the edge of Farmington Bay in the distance. They are coyotes and they quickly disappear in the brush.

Continuing on, there's a decent sized herd of bison just north of the Frary Peak Road - probably the same herd I saw on Thursday. And a solo guy across the road.

I drive on for a while before I see one of the coolest things, 3 coyote trotting along in the middle of the road.

One of the coyotes has a limp (he's holding his right front paw up - the one on the right). (On Thursday, as I was waiting for the sunset, a guy told me he had seen a limping coyote scouting the ducks earlier in the day. I'm seeing the same coyote now.)

Well, I've following cattle and sheep (off the island of course) and bison on the island but this is a first for me; following coyote. I follow for a couple of miles before the one with a limp heads off the road to the left disappearing into the grasses.

The other 2 stop trying to decide whether to follow. But they continue along the road and I continue to follow.

We're coming up at to a pull-off with many cars already there.

Soon, the 2 coyote head off the left side of the road paralleling the road.

Then head off further into the grasses. The one heads to a treeline; the other under a tree where yet another coyote is (#5 of the day)!!! All three are still visible though.

I'm hoping for greeting behaviors but nothing. Soon they all disappear from sight! Pretty special!

I head up to the pull-off and ask what all the people are watching. They are just looking for birds. I told them to be alert for the coyote. He tells me, they saw 8 very large buck earlier. I'll have to keep my eye out for them.

I continue past but not without noticing a porcupine in the trees near them. Maybe I check him out on my way back.

I finally get to the area where I last saw the pronghorn near the road on Thursday. The pronghorn are not here but the bison are still across the road.

But they are still along along the lake bed where the bison summered -- I also saw the pronghorn there on Thursday (the end of the herd). I count at least 60 animals. Most are laying down but some are grazing.

I continue to the Ranch. I try to look with binoculars for Bald Eagle in the distance at Mushroom Springs but it's just to foggy.

I make a quick stop at the Ranch -- the trees are pretty today!

Time to head back north.

I make a stop at one porcupine but there are just too many branches to get a good look.

I find another porcupine very near the road a few miles down the road and stop for a look. He's appears to be sleeping but I can see his teeth.

I decide to continue around the north side of the Visitor's Center again - still looking for deer. I do find a Bison on the north side of the Center.

As I continue to the beach area, I see a Jackrabbit in an open sagebrush area. I stop but slide past (it's icy). I back-up and only get a glimpse as he hops off.

I start to move forward and there's another rabbit hopping towards me on the road. He quickly turns back into the sagebrush.

I move forward slowly and there's another rabbit coming toward the road. Make that 2 rabbit.

Nope make it 3, no 4 rabbits!

All 4 cross the road to the beach side. And hop from my sight!

Holy cow, I have never seen this many in one day!

But it's not over yet, a little further down the road, another appears in the sagebrush!

As I'm watching this final (yes, final) rabbit, another car passes me by and keeps driving. I figure my chance of seeing a deer is done as they surely would have stopped for one.

Well, I travel only a short distance and there standing at the edge of the sagebrush are 2 doe! There are actually more in the sagebrush  - at least 5.

Not sure anyone who was paying attention could of missed them.

My day is now complete. :)

I briefly think about climbing up to Bison Point but decide to pass so I head out of the park.

But before I leave, I find a Kestrel near the causeway exit.

Incredible start to 2017!